HP Sure Run

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The above program is preventing me from temporarily switching off my windows 10 firewall ( it instantly turns it back on) and after doing some research I see a possible solution wherein I need to switch it off inside the system bios. Uninstall from the HP Sure Run app doesn’t work as it keeps telling me the Program is running, which isn’t correct. Shutting it down in task manager also doesn’t work and I have tried a few other paths. Playing with the Bios is not something I would normally do and I wanted an opinion on whether it was safe to do? This would be just short term while I test other issues I have with OpenVPN setup. I assume I can reinstall it or maybe I’m better off without it?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The above program is preventing me from temporarily switching off my windows 10 firewall ( it instantly turns it back on) and after doing some research I see a possible solution wherein I need to switch it off inside the system bios. Uninstall from the HP Sure Run app doesn’t work as it keeps telling me the Program is running, which isn’t correct. Shutting it down in task manager also doesn’t work and I have tried a few other paths. Playing with the Bios is not something I would normally do and I wanted an opinion on whether it was safe to do? This would be just short term while I test other issues I have with OpenVPN setup. I assume I can reinstall it or maybe I’m better off without it?
I don't know about this one specifically but I worked for a major computer manufacturer for a loooooong time and "bloatware" was a constant hassle. Computer hardware manufacturers generally don't make good software manufacturers. Imho, I would look into disabling anything that comes from HP/Dell/IBM/Lenovo etc and let the software companies do their own job. If all else fails, there's the idea of doing a clean format and just installing a normal, base Windows install. This is only something that you'd want to do if you're comfortable though. Playing with the bios GENERALLY won't outright brick your computer but yes, it can cause some instability. From my experience, bios changes CAN be reverted back with the flip of a setting.

Good luck

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like it’s managed by a back end server/system. I’d splat it with an install of W10, search for Media Creation Tool, create a bootable usb and reinstall Windows.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses Area651, fenderman and IAmATeaf.

Whwn I set this PC up I did do a clean instal as it was a new system but obviously somewhere thru the process I got sucked into accepting the HP Sure Run tool. It still amazes me that a HP tool could block part of the windows core system such as the firewall on/ off option but that’s all learning for me.

I will take the advice here and instal a new version of Windows using the windows media creation tool. Thanks again for the direction.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like it’s managed by a back end server/system. I’d splat it with an install of W10, search for Media Creation Tool, create a bootable usb and reinstall Windows.
If you’ve already tried a clean install of W10 then that’s a bit worrying that the software somehow got back on. It is a centrally managed piece of software which will configure and enforce certain settings.

You might actually have to venture into the BIOS and see if you can disable the feature? I’ve got a HP desktop and never noticed this in the BIOS of mine nor had any issues.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you’ve already tried a clean install of W10 then that’s a bit worrying that the software somehow got back on. It is a centrally managed piece of software which will configure and enforce certain settings.
No I haven’t tried a clean install yet IAmATeaf. What I meant was that I purchased the desktop new and installed Windows 10 at that time. It’s a dedicated BI server and I have been very careful about the software that has been installed on it as I don’t need anything that’s unrelated to BI or OpenVPN. My guess is I probably thought it was a related security option during setup and unwitingly accepted to instal it.

I will try a fresh instal and see if that fixes the problem otherwise I will then try and disable it in the Bios. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I would first look at running regedit on the offensive machine, and remove or better yet disabling the HP Sure Tool entries. Even if you do hose the registry (obviously export your registry settings first) you can always do the fresh install. Have you tried uninstalling HP Sure Tool first, via Programs and Features?

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would first look at running regedit on the offensive machine, and remove or better yet disabling the HP Sure Tool entries. Even if you do hose the registry (obviously export your registry settings first) you can always do the fresh install. Have you tried uninstalling HP Sure Tool first, via Programs and Features?
I’m not familiar with Regedit weigle2 but will have a look at it and report back. Thanks for the tip.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with Regedit weigle2 but will have a look at it and report back. Thanks for the tip.
a clean install is a 15 minuet operation. dont waste your time. There are many other reasons to do a clean install. Just make sure to download the network card driver on usb before hand from hp's site.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I did a clean instal of Windows 10 and everything booted up fine. Got Blue Iris working and I walked away happy.

When I came back the next morning the system was off. I restarted it in safe boot and the same problem came back the next day. So after I booted up on the second day again there was a HP run error and with an option to disable HP Run in safe boot, which is what I did.

Everything has been working well since then. Just sharing for info. Thanks To all for the guidance and advice.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you taken a look within the BIOS to see if there are any option for this App? The fact that it comes back must mean that it’s being managed so the problem could come back?

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you taken a look within the BIOS to see if there are any option for this App? The fact that it comes back must mean that it’s being managed so the problem could come back?
I just checked now and I see that it is there in two spots. The first is an option to disable the app in the startup process and the section is an option to disable it from running real time. As it’s clearly a manufacturer app (HP in this case) I have disabled both while I am customizing my BI system. Once I finish doing that I may switch them back on again and see what happens.
Thanks for the feedback.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn’t switch it back on. As I typed before it looks like some sort of centrally managed app which configures settings in the device. Theses settings can’t then be controlled or set by you.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wouldn’t switch it back on. As I typed before it looks like some sort of centrally managed app which configures settings in the device. Theses settings can’t then be controlled or set by you.
Thanks IAmATeaf. The only reason I have been toying with turning it back on after I sort BI is that I don’t run any anti virus software.

And the reason I don’t run anti virus software is that I have seen how it can bloat a system. This desktop is 100% dedicated to BI and once I have it running properly I won’t be using it for anything else. So rightly or wrongly (and if I get OpenVPN set up correctly) I don’t see a big risk in going naked.

That said my experience with HP in built protection has also been bad.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just checked now and I see that it is there in two spots. The first is an option to disable the app in the startup process and the section is an option to disable it from running real time. As it’s clearly a manufacturer app (HP in this case) I have disabled both while I am customizing my BI system. Once I finish doing that I may switch them back on again and see what happens.
Thanks for the feedback.
The clean install should be done with windows media creation tool no the HP oem image.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That’s how I did it fenderman. I took your advice and downloaded the software to a usb and In the process everything was suppose to have been wiped.