HTTP error 403 w/ NGROK tunnel to UI3

TheQ2

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an NGROK tunnel that allows me to access the UI3 webserver from outside my home network. Most of the time the time this works great, giving me very easy access to my cameras from anywhere with internet. However, pretty often I'm met with an HTTP error 403 when I attempt to go to the NGROK URL to check my cameras. The tunnel remains open as shown on the dashboard on the ngrok.io website. Closing and reopening the tunnel does not fix the issue. The UI3 webserver remains accessible through the local network, but not through ngrok. I do not know how to troubleshoot this issue any further. If I reboot the Blue Iris PC, the problem is resolved, but I would like to prevent the issue from occuring. It occurs at least once a day. Sometimes the issue is resolved automatically after some time, but it might happen again at a later time.

TheQ2

n3wb
Reaction score
Ping on this issue. Anyone else seeing occasional HTTP 403 Access Denied errors when trying to access UI3?

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
the issue you are seeing is that the client (ui3) is not able to access your BI server. neither UI3 nor BI server are at fault, but rather your VPN connection.

after quick glance at the NGROK site, the VPN connection is established from a server within your LAN, BI or other system, to the NGROK cloud.

ngrok Secure Tunnels work by using a locally installed ngrok agent to establish a connection to the ngrok service. Once the connection is established, you get a public endpoint that you or others can use to access your local service.​

i imagine that your ngrok service running on the system within your lan is failing in some manner; system reboots, service stops, loses connection, resets, times out, something.

further assistance/help to diagnose and correct the issue would be better addressed to other ngrok users rather than BI users.