HTTPS certificate

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying (unsuccessfully so far) to implement a HTTPS certificate in my NVR, model DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P with FW version 3.3.6. I have read several posts on this forum, including one by rommycam describing the steps needed for that implementation, but his approach does not work for me.

Unlike what rommycam did, I enter the IP address assigned by my ISP in the certificate (rommycam entered his local IP address, as seen by his router, 192.168.x.y)

When I enter the IP address assigned by my ISP in the certificate, then login remotely using HTTPS, I get the following message in IE:
"The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority."

If I continue to the NVR web site, I can login but Internet Explorer states that the web site is not responding and gives me the option to recover the webpage.

So, is there a way to implement HTTPS within the DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P NVR? What is a "trusted certificate authority"?

I am also contemplating the VPN route, but my router hardware version (TP-Link Archer C9 V1) does include VPN (V4 and V5 do). Other than upgrading to a VPN-capable router, what are my options?

Thanks

-S

DanNash

n3wb
Reaction score
A VPN router is not a bad idea. In my opinion VPN is a great thing that helps you be protected online. I was always intrigued about how it all works, and IT has always been my passion. The problem for me was that I was always a bad student, I just hated what we were learning... I love the fact that you can now get a certificate in a field that you like, and you don't have to spend years getting it. I got CCIE certificate with the help of Spoto in a few months, and now I love my job!

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score

When I enter the IP address assigned by my ISP in the certificate, then login remotely using HTTPS, I get the following message in IE:
"The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority."

If I continue to the NVR web site, I can login but Internet Explorer states that the web site is not responding and gives me the option to recover the webpage.

So, is there a way to implement HTTPS within the DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P NVR? What is a "trusted certificate authority"?
Certificates function basically as an encryption key.

A trusted certificate authority is a known, trusted organization which issues certificates. There are a number (e.g., Let's Encrypt). They are recognized by and built into most browsers.

The certificate that you create is self-signed. They are not recognized as being issued by a trusted certificate authority so you get the message to that effect.

If you search around some then you should find guides for how to install the self-signed cert locally so that it is accepted by your browser(s).

I don't use and I've not installed on an NVR so can't help you with that part.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
If you look at the top when you make your certificate there is a tab called "Trusted CA Certificates"

cert.jpg

Last edited: