Huisun's handling cold snowy weather and low temps so far

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It got down to 2° F (-17C) here last night. The Huisun's and my other cameras handled it fine. So far, no problems. I'm sure that others are getting colder temps in their locations, especially in the mid-west and east. How are the Huisun's holding up for you?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well my dad bought two of them. One works fine, but the other is mounted at a remote HAM repeater site which is snowed in and the cam stopped responding weeks ago. Impossible to say what is wrong. Maybe it didn't get weather sealed properly. Maybe it doesn't like being fed power directly from batteries (a 12v battery system can range from about 10.5 volts to 13.6 or so, depending on state of charge). It could even be some kind of memory leak in the RTSP server because unlike most installations this one initiates a new RTSP connection every 10 minutes (and ends the connection about 20 seconds later) to pull enough video that the software can upload a snapshot to an FTP server.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Maybe it doesn't like being fed power directly from batteries (a 12v battery system can range from about 10.5 volts to 13.6 or so, depending on state of charge)...
I'm confused BP...I thought the Huisun needed something like 18watts during it's peak power usage?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, it does. Volts times Amps = Watts. I'm not saying the batteries provide 12 watts. They provide 12 (give or take) volts at whatever amperage is necessary to reach the watts required by the device.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, from Downunder (Australia) I can report that so far they're handling the summer OK. I have 2 out in the heat, and another one in a really hot spot in a garage. One of them is in direct sun all day, and hasn't had any problems, including yesterday when we reached the low 40s (C) in the shade. The warm spot in the garage is usually 8 to 10 degrees higher than the outside temp, and that one worked fine too.

Fingers crossed!

PS Can you send over some of that snow please??

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have had my cam suffer rain and fog..luckliy got the pigtails all covered in monkey shit just before the storms hit. So far, so good!

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It was -15f temp here in northern MN (go away -40), and 10x Huisun is still ticking. Camera mounted on my deck, so no eaves to protect. Will mount under the eaves in the spring (if camera makes the winter).

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Huisun's do seem to hold up well so far in all kinds of weather. The one mounted on the garage is open to the elements. They're supposed to have a IP66 rating. Probably doesn't mean that much though because I have indoor cameras mounted outside under eaves and in the garage and shed. Haven't had any problem with any of them in cold temps either.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Damn @acvb, now that's getting cold. If these cameras can handle -15° F, then I guess they'll be fine in most areas around the country. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm confused BP...I thought the Huisun needed something like 18watts during it's peak power usage?
Apparently it's only 12 watts for the mini-ptz. It says 12 watts in the owners manual posted on this forum. I ordered one recently and it came with a sticker on it saying "12 volts / 12 watts"

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It was -15f temp here in northern MN (go away -40), and 10x Huisun is still ticking. Camera mounted on my deck, so no eaves to protect. Will mount under the eaves in the spring (if camera makes the winter).
According to the specs, it's supposed to handle it down to -35ºC (-31º F)

I read somewhere that there was a temperature controlled heater inside the housing; though that may have been for the speed domes?

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The two that I have mounted outside are both running fine using standard 802.3af PoE switches, so the 12 watts is most likely accurate.

It got down to -2° F last night and all cameras are still up and running. Gave the mini-ptz cameras a workout today panning, tilting, zooming in and out, etc. and all is well.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
They are rated -35 to +55, so there is plenty more to go

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They are rated -35 to +55, so there is plenty more to go
Although the problem is, the "specs" given on these things are apparently just a bunch of random numbers that someone pulled out of their butt. I've seen where the pan range was rated at 300 degrees when in reality it's more like 250....Tilt range says -5, when it's actually -10...Somewhere the specs once stated 18 watts max power when apparently it's actually 12 watts....Given this, I would put very little faith in the temperature specs as well. Could have been a random range of numbers that someone made up instead of something that has actually been tested and proven.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Although the problem is, the "specs" given on these things are apparently just a bunch of random numbers that someone pulled out of their butt. I've seen where the pan range was rated at 300 degrees when in reality it's more like 250....Tilt range says -5, when it's actually -10...Somewhere the specs once stated 18 watts max power when apparently it's actually 12 watts....Given this, I would put very little faith in the temperature specs as well. Could have been a random range of numbers that someone made up instead of something that has actually been tested and proven.
Most likely, so let's see how low it can go.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I suspect that the weak point will eventually be the joint as water gets in at the edges and freezes and stretches it, rather than the mechanics inside the bullet freezing up. It seems to generate a fair amount of heat.

korakora

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
10.52.4.15_00_00_20160102154304718.jpg

at my place always stay at 40 degrees celcius, never less never more, no complain almost 4 month