Human Intrusion/Loitering Detection - Best Camera for the Job

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm contemplating purchasing a new camera for Human Intrusion/Loitering Detection within a specified Area of Interest (AOI). Below is my previous thread on the topic from about two years ago. The camera currently implemented is IPC-HDW3449H-AS-PV-S3. I have done lots of testing and tried optimizing the parameters based on feedback in the thread but would like to achieve better performance.

Does anyone know if there's been any improvements in this area and what camera might be best for the job?

I would estimate that I achieve about 85% accuracy during the day but that drops to about 60% accuracy at night.

It "seems" to depend on what color of clothing the person is wearing and whether they are standing next to a vehicle of some type. The camera struggles to detect a person wearing dark clothing or clothing of all the same color. It also seems to be worse when they are standing next to or around a vehicle. At night they can walk around their vehicle, open the trunk, open the doors, throw out trash, take a leak (or whatever) and the camera often doesn't detect them. It's not clear to me if this is because the vehicle pulled into the AOI and the person(s) exited without completely crossing the AOI boundary or for other reasons? Surprisingly, the camera seems to do a great job at detecting a person on a bicycle.

The area is extremely well-lit at night so I really can't make any improvements in the lighting. The fact that it is so well-lit is the reason people pull into the driveway.

I've been looking at the following two cameras but don't know if they would perform any better or if there is another model that I should consider.

IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 Ultra Low Light 4MP Starlight IR Turret IP Wired Camera S3 Version Vari-focal 2.7mm-12mm Lens, Built-in Mic, Support POE and ePOE, Vehicle and Human Detection.

IPC-Color4K-T 1/1.2″ CMOS Image Senor 8MP 4K Full-color Smart AI Turret IP Camera Built-in Warm Light

Thanks for any feedback and Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Both of those are great cams and human detection works very well on both and both will be better than your current cam as far as low-light images. I've never tried the loitering. AOI also seems to complicate things. Is there a reason why you're trying to use that vs straight human detection with regular IVS rules?

Maybe post captures of your settings and see if someone can help get things working better.

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
Mike, thanks for the response.

I should have not used the term AOI because I am using a regular IVS rule. It was my generic term for describing the area inside the blue lines that are drawn for the IVS rule. See the image below from my previous thread:

The IVS Intrusion rule is very simple. It is supposed to identify a person inside the specified area if they are in that area for at least 5 seconds. I don't want to be alerted if someone just briefly walks, runs or bikes thru the area. I'm only concerned if a person is "loitering" in the target area.

I'm just trying to determine if a new camera "could" provide better results than what I'm currently achieving. The area is extremely well-lit but maybe a camera with better light sensitivity would perform better?

Maybe the detection algorithms for the newest cameras are improved?

Maybe no other users have done something similar?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 is from actual Pro line (aka WizMind-S).. It is MAIN pro line for Dahua, Product cycle for this line is 2-3 years and for that time You will have firmware updates (with even more features and optimizations).. IVS and AI functions should work here much better...

IPC-Color4K-T (Dahua 5849) is unique and strange, one shot model... It had depth of field problem and lots problems with firmware.. It is deprecated and replaced by a fresh new Dahua 5849*-S2 line...

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a clip from my Color4K/X, big brother to the 4K/T, doing loitering detection in front of my house. Alarms sounded on the camera and the NVR triggered the buzzer in our bedroom.

Sent the kids packing.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's a clip from my Color4K/X, big brother to the 4K/T, doing loitering detection in front of my house. Alarms sounded on the camera and the NVR triggered the buzzer in our bedroom.

Sent the kids packing.

@CanCuba Any false alarms with loitering IVS? Your wife would probably be very unhappy if this happens enough, especially in the middle of night?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
@CanCuba Any false alarms with loitering IVS? Your wife would probably be very unhappy if this happens enough, especially in the middle of night?
Sometimes if I have the global sensitivity cranked to 10 (wish it would go to 11) and it rains. It seems to trigger on the posts for the gate in the middle of the image. But I'm not using loitering right now as we have a night watchman who stays in our front entrance.

We do this when we have Airbnb guests as it helps them feel more secure. Perception is reality.