I am confused and don't know what cameras to buy

SharpTJ1

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been reading so much lately that I am now thoroughly confused. Here is a picture of my house. #1 and #4 are about 14' off the ground, and #2 and #3 are about 30' off the ground. I want them to just be PoE, and wide enough angle to cover the most ground, don't need face recognition or anything fancy. Hikvision seems like the "best bang for my buck" best I can tell.

Then I will be putting a camera on the front door (north side), back door (south side), and over the garage (west side).

Cams.jpg

Should I use bullet cams or dome cams, does it matter? I don't really need pan/tilt on the 4 corners as they will positioned and left. I want night vision out at least 50' or so from the house. What size lens? What MP?

As for the door cameras, I assume dome cameras would be better, aesthetically, at least. What size lens and MP would give me the best view out to 15' or so? PTZ would be a plus also for the door cameras.

Will probably have those 7 cams and 3 indoor cams running to a 16 channel switch, then to my computer and use some kind of camera management software.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Well, Hikvision (or Dahua) is really a solid choice but with compromises especially when you want 50' of night vision, do NOT get the any of the dome cameras from the 2-line and expect to see 50' in clear picture. They have really nice 4-line cams, but those are $$$. For 15' coverage you might be ok with domes, but turrets are really better choice. Now, if you really want the best night vision cams that are best bang there are other choices which are easy to find on this forum.