I assure you it wasn't cold enough to snow...

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
...there were no tornados reported last night. So, what's going on here? Bug swarm, spiders, bad nighttime settings on a Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS??? It lasted 3 and 1/2 hours and appears to be a persistent bug swarm.

It should look more like this out there:

Driveway.20200129_230000707_1.jpg

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely fog/drizzle. I see the same thing here, near shore, quite often due to almost hitting the dew point. It's one of the built-in "features:" when using onboard IR for illumination. It also seems dependent on wind speed and direction in relationship to the camera view.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
See this with IR on and any level of fog. Also, if you're using a camera with SSA backlighting you'll see similar symptoms even with very little moisture in the air.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Super cool. Bonus points if you can focus the camera at maximum near distance next time that environment happens, it might show better detail on the water particles.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can drastically improve the camera's vision in fog / rain / snow by turning off the camera's built-in IR and installing an IR illuminator a few feet away from the camera. This way you don't have anything directly in front of the lens being hit by high-intensity IR, so the camera sees right through it.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
You can drastically improve the camera's vision in fog / rain / snow by turning off the camera's built-in IR and installing an IR illuminator a few feet away from the camera. This way you don't have anything directly in front of the lens being hit by high-intensity IR, so the camera sees right through it.

I've had a couple of THESE since September. On my list of installations. And, THESE to power them.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I ordered the 18 LED version but returned it because I thought is a rather large bohemoth to mount on my aluminum soffit...it's a big heavy sucker. And, at 18 watts it exceeded my POE active spiltters by a few watts.

Where do you suggest they should be mounted relative to the IP cams? I assume behind if you can? Is three feet away typically optimal?

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ordered the 18 LED version but returned it because I thought is a rather large bohemoth to mount on my aluminum soffit...it's a big heavy sucker. And, at 18 watts it exceeded my POE active spiltters by a few watts.

Where do you suggest they should be mounted relative to the IP cams? I assume behind if you can? Is three feet away typically optimal?
You can plan the design of where to mount by testing with a normal light spotlight or flashlight, something like:

Think of the infrared emitter just like a normal directional light. So if you mount it far away from your camera, you will be lighting up the 'unseen' side of the people you are trying to see on camera. Whereas if you mount it as close as physically possible, you will have some degree of the problem you have with built-in emitters, where miniature obstructions in front of the camera because super bright.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I usually mount IR emitters a foot or two to one side, or the other, and a little behind my cameras. In heavy snow, and rain, there are still objects seen by the camera but it is reduced to unusual conditions rather than just a foggy or misty night.