I can't download video files as MP4 on IPC-HDW5231R-Z

dodamn

n3wb
Reaction score
I use SD card to record video.
I want to download video files from the cam.
But I can't download files as MP4.
When I download files as MP4, an error says "It doesn't support mp4 format to download temporarily .".
Only DAV downloading is allowed.

How can I download videos as MP4?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I think this is a similar situation with NVR. Downloading video is only supported with DAV or ASF.
I proceeded with two solutions.
1) used a free video converter from the internet
2) downloaded as ASF, which is supported by YouTube. Since my ultimate goal is often to post clips on YT, that met my needs. Added bonus: I can download the clips from YT in MP4 format.

Good luck!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive had similar problems downloading .mpg direct from the camera SD card. I download as a .dav and easily and quickly convert to .avi with the Dahua SmartPlayer or use BigaSoft software to convert to .mpg or any umber of formats.

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also had this problem. Then I have reformatted the SD card over the camera software (WebGui) . Now it works with the download as mp4. I use the Internetexplorer 11. With Smartpss it works synonymous. i don't use a nvr.

dodamn

n3wb
Reaction score
I also had this problem. Then I have reformatted the SD card over the camera software (WebGui) . Now it works with the download as mp4. I use the Internetexplorer 11. With Smartpss it works synonymous. i don't use a nvr.
Really?
Is your cam IPC-HDW5231R-Z?

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this is strange. Was this firmware already installed? looks for a General_ firmware. Without logo. Perhaps it works with the original firmware of Dahua.
did you try it with smartpss?

dodamn

n3wb
Reaction score
this is strange. Was this firmware already installed? looks for a General_ firmware. Without logo. Perhaps it works with the original firmware of Dahua.
did you try it with smartpss?
Yes, this firmware has already installed into my cam.
I have bought my cam from AliExplress. My cam has no logo.

Is the firmware of the cam without logo is different from the cam with logo?

I didn't try smartpss.

I have a question for you.
Do you use H.265 for video codec? or H.264(H.264H)?

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the firmware of the cam without logo is different from the cam with logo?
I think no.
Do you use H.265 for video codec? or H.264(H.264H)?
I use H.264H
H.265 are not supportet for my Smart TV
I have bought my cam from AliExplress. My cam has no logo.
ok..i have bought my cams from Andy...
here is a screenshot of the smartpss. since you can also export in mp4,Avi,ASF formats smartpss.JPG

dodamn

n3wb
Reaction score
I think no.

I use H.264H
H.256 are not supportet for my Smart TV

ok..i have bought my cams from Andy...
here is a screenshot of the smartpss. since you can also export in mp4,Avi,ASF formats View attachment 21422
Thank you for your help.

I think this issue is related to video encoding scheme.

I have done one experiment.
In my cam, I can't download H265 records as MP4. However downloading H264H records as MP4 is OK.
But I'm sad because H264H video file is more bigger than H265.

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok...
have just tested quickly. even with h265 it works :rolleyes: i have windows 10 64bit. i think you need install the H265 Codec for Win 7. (sorry for my bad englisch ;-) )

RafflesNH

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

I think this issue is related to video encoding scheme.

I have done one experiment.
In my cam, I can't download H265 records as MP4. However downloading H264H records as MP4 is OK.
But I'm sad because H264H video file is more bigger than H265.
Hi, yes H265 encoding is a bit of a nightmare still. I had to do a cheat-sheet to help me remember what does what!
I use VLC and Handbrake to convert my H265 DAV/ASF files, but even then a lot depends on which software you used to export those files with!
As you can see, VLC and Handbrake will however read/convert H265 AVI/MP4 files exported by SmartPSS. (See table Note *4) But as I don't really like using SmartPSS for exporting, I just export H265 DAV files with ONVIF DM and then use Handbrake to convert to H264/MP4 or MKV files instead.
Hope this helps.
Nigel

upload_2017-9-3_17-3-46.png

Last edited:

dodamn

n3wb
Reaction score
ok...
have just tested quickly. even with h265 it works :rolleyes: i have windows 10 64bit. i think you need install the H265 Codec for Win 7. (sorry for my bad englisch ;-) )
I installed "libde265", which is an open source implementation of the h.265 video codec. But MP4 downloading is not allowed. I do not have Windows 10. I still use Windows 7. I don't know the fundamental cause.

I asked Dahua official support team about this problem. But Dahua rejects my ask because AliExpress is not official distributor. I am disappointed with Dahua.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I asked Dahua official support team about this problem. But Dahua rejects my ask because AliExpress is not official distributor. I am disappointed with Dahua.
Why would you be disappointed...you knew that dahua does not provide support unless you buy from an authorized distributor...support costs money, money that you refused to pay..makes perfect sense..

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed "libde265", which is an open source implementation of the h.265 video codec. But MP4 downloading is not allowed. I do not have Windows 10. I still use Windows 7. I don't know the fundamental cause.

I think the best way for you is to use smartpss. So just try it.

dodamn

n3wb
Reaction score
I think the best way for you is to use smartpss. So just try it.
OK, thank you.

I have one more question. Only DAV and JPG are shown on the File Type option of my camera. What about you, ewc1111?
dav.png

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that is normal. The camera records only in dav format. When downloading via the webgui or smartpss you have the possibility to export the file to mp4.

0x5d

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else finds them self here trying to solve the "why can't I download the files as mp4" issue. I found the problem was the browser. Internet Explorer shows both the download as DAV and MP4 options, while Chrome only shows DAV.

When I initially installed my ipcam, it was on an older firmware that did not support Chrome very well. I had messed with the cam enough to notice the download as MP4 feature, but then did a firmware upgrade. After the upgrade, I was able to start using Chrome (since it was supported by the new firmware), however, when I went to download saved videos from the SD card the MP4 option was no longer present.

After finding this thread, I tried looking at the saved clips in Internet Explorer and the MP4 option was visible again. So this must just be a difference in browser support (or perhaps the activex plugin that gets installed). Hope this helps.