I cant get this right.

anne

n3wb
Reaction score
can someone please just tell me what to set everything to so that when cat comes on my porch in camera view it records as long as that cat is there and then stops? I keep getting a whole lot of nothing.. then some cat shows up in between the nothing.. Or I get nothing at all but leaves blowing. Its taking me so long to go through clips to see what I want to see. THe whole camera is a cat surveillance system. I just want to record the whole time a cat is on the porch. I do not understand all these terms and what things mean like continuous and triggered and then it gives two different times aside of that.. for instance : when Triggered 10.00 min for 5.0 seconds??? HUH?? this makes no sense to me.. how about somethign that just sets it to record when something is there period? I Thank anyone for helping !!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Blue iris has a ton of options because its super customizable, it not plug and play because if it was, no one would be happy with the results. Everyone has different needs.
For your situation. Set it to record when triggered only. Set the make time to 0.7 seconds..set the break time to 20 seconds...set the sliders to about 25 percent from the left. uncheck object detect reject. Set your pretrigger frames to at least the frames per second your camera is transmitting, so if its 15fps set it to at least 15...30 is better...if there is a particular section of the porch that you want to trigger the event, use the mask option to block out all other parts to eliminate false alarms..Blue iris cannot record "when something is there"..there has to be movement to trigger the recording...the break time tell it how long to keep recording after the last sense of movement.

anne

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much I will see how that works! I was looking for something that would explain what each thing does but didn't find anything simple that I could understand. And I couldn't figure out which way the sensitivity should be so I get cats and not leaves triggering it if it should be more or less. So if i want it to just keep recording so I dont miss a think I would set it to continuous? And what does that periodic setting mean? Is there a handbook somewhere? Thanks for your help.. I see you seem to help eveyone here :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a handbook..its the help file..just click the help button on any settings page...there is no pdf handbook, because the program is often updated with new features..
If you set it to continuous you would be recording 24/7...that would be a huge waste....
You will need to play with the sensitivity to see what works...its an issue with all pixel based motion detection..best way is trial and error..you need to play with the make time, the object size and contrast...
The mask can be very effective because you will block certain areas from detecting motion like trees etc..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
consider a motion sensor to trigger recordings, my cat sets mine off all the time (its not pet-immune) but the problem being.. cats, well are lazy and can stay put for very long periods of time with no motion.. they make pressure pads that might detect one laying on it, but you might need really fat cats to pull that off.