I finally figured out the 8MP 1/1.2" and 4MP 1/1.8" CMOS models Hikvision uses

ipcamuser11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Before buying the Hikvision 8MP 1/1.2" and 4MP 1/1.8" cameras, I thought they must be using SONY IMX485 and IMX347, or maybe even the newest IMX585 with Starvis 2 technology. However after bought and tearing down several models, I find it not likely to be any of SONY's products, the appearance looks much more like OmniVision's, but I can't find a matching model. The closest models with the same specifications are 8MP 1/1.2" OS08B10 and 4MP 1/1.8" OS04A10, but they have different appearances.

After a month's digging, I finally find that these two CMOS are all customized models made by OmniVison for Hikvsion, custom model numbers are HK188 for the 8MP, and HK187 for the 4MP one. I find someone selling the same chips leaked from Hikvision's factory based in Hangzhou, China

While from other sources, I learned that Dahua is also using OmniVison's OS08B10 and OS04A10 in their high-end models. I haven't got a chance to tear down one yet. We can see that both Hikvision and Dahua are using more and more image sensors made by Chinese companies, it's now hard to see SONY's sensor in their products, even in the higher-end ones. Don't know if there's anything to do with the US sanction

Customized model HK188, 8MP 1/1.2", seen from a H8 and G5 platform camera

hk188.jpg

Customized model HK187, 4MP 1/1.8", seen from Hikvision E7 and E7S platform

hk187.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Before buying the Hikvision 8MP 1/1.2" and 4MP 1/1.8" cameras, I thought they must be using SONY IMX485 and IMX347, or maybe even the newest IMX585 with Starvis 2 technology. However after bought and tearing down several models, I find it not likely to be any of SONY's products, the appearance looks much more like OmniVision's, but I can't find a matching model. The closest models with the same specifications are 8MP 1/1.2" OS08B10 and 4MP 1/1.8" OS04A10, but they have different appearances.

After a month's digging, I finally find that these two CMOS are all customized models made by OmniVison for Hikvsion, custom model numbers are HK188 for the 8MP, and HK187 for the 4MP one. I find someone selling the same chips leaked from Hikvision's factory based in Hangzhou, China

While from other sources, I learned that Dahua is also using OmniVison's OS08B10 and OS04A10 in their high-end models. I haven't got a chance to tear down one yet. We can see that both Hikvision and Dahua are using more and more image sensors made by Chinese companies, it's now hard to see SONY's sensor in their products, even in the higher-end ones. Don't know if there's anything to do with the US sanction

View attachment 161094

View attachment 161095
I've seen reports that the Chinese Central Government has put a lot of money in the chip business in China .. so makes sense to see some results from that.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are all the 1/1.8" sensors the same model, or is there a variety for IR or full color use?

electret

n3wb
Reaction score
Was anyone able to determine the sensors used in olrder 2087g1 2047g1 2043g1 2043g2?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 161094

View attachment 161095
I'd imagine that they'd use a cheaper to produce, I'm assuming, Chinese sensor if there's no need to buy the Sony sensor due to the sanctions.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Chips is a hot topic these days, the ban maybe short time is good for their pilitcal target, but long time the hurting still be the US or Japan high tech company. China is doing big progress on most chips, and invest too much money on chips, top chips still can't produce, but middle chips they are doing very well.
Joe's plan to make chips in US i don't expect too much on it, will push the cost too much, if one day US only can use US cameras, each camera will be 4-5 times higher than the current ones.

ipcamuser11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd imagine that they'd use a cheaper to produce, I'm assuming, Chinese sensor if there's no need to buy the Sony sensor due to the sanctions.
I highly doubt it's the price reason. They use Chinese made sensors even on those very high-end industrial models specially made for Chinese gov and state-owned companies, they never care the price, sometimes it's the higher price the better. A Sony sensor costs almost nothing compared to the end price

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I highly doubt it's the price reason. They use Chinese made sensors even on those very high-end industrial models specially made for Chinese gov and state-owned companies, they never care the price, sometimes it's the higher price the better. A Sony sensor costs almost nothing compared to the end price
Interesting. Thanks for clearing that up.

Daijoubu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hah is that the sensor in the Anjvision MC-J30 module? Supposedly SC450AI as per taobao sellers but it's not, in the firmware it's called SP4329, after googling, I think SP may refer to SuperPix that is now part of Omnivision? Looks pretty similar to the HK187 sensor, the little dots (wire bonds?) are in the same places
20231018_095809~2.jpg

ipcamuser11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hah is that the sensor in the Anjvision MC-J30 module? Supposedly SC450AI as per taobao sellers but it's not, in the firmware it's called SP4329, after googling, I think SP may refer to SuperPix that is now part of Omnivision? Looks pretty similar to the HK187 sensor, the little dots (wire bonds?) are in the same places
yeah, looks exactly the same, should be the same model. As for Anjoy, sorry I was mistaken by the seller too, it's not SC450AI at all, I have deleted the post

Last edited:

Daijoubu

n3wb
Reaction score
yeah, looks exactly the same, should be the same model. As for Anjoy, sorry I was mistaken by the seller too, it's not SC450AI at all, I have deleted the post
Still good sensor for the money, no? MC-J40 is just a bit more $ also

Reaction score
I don't think you should have delete the review, it was really good source of information. For what ever it worth, thanks for your effort.

I ordered the MT-J30-wy from taobao which is the wifi version of the j30.

The lowlight performance is really impressive but when we put the board on wifi mode, the firmware force the main feed to 1500kpbs @15fps. Which is kind of bad.

H265 signal is kind of unstable on ethernet and wifi. The feed cut after few minutes and gray screen (full of grey artefact) appear almost every minute.

I only hope that anjvision will tweak the firmware so we adjust the video feed accordingly to our wifi performance.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you go to Dahua website, click on search button, enter STARVIS you will find that SONY sensors are used only in PTZ cameras. And even not all models...
Non PTZ cameras in search results will be models mostly from 2017-2019. The latest non PTZ cameras which I found with STARVIS was first gen 5231 from 2020..

Dahua in premium models from a few years (previous 5442/5842 from 2019/2020) are using 1/1.8" 4/8 MPx sensors from OmniVision. They have good night light performance and WDR at 140db..

In years I read many reports from different sources that HIK / Dahua are switching from Sony sensors to other one..
So it is not a new news...

Big question - is really HIK using the same sensors in 1/1.8" models? I saw many 2x47 from HIK, which had 1/1.8" sensor in spec, but night light performance was much worst that Dahua. Also they had only 130db WDR - 140 WDR is only available in HIK 3/5 lines.. is this a worse / cheaper sensor (comparing to Dahua) or simply worse SOC/ISP/processing?

Another interesting question - is new Dahua WizMind-S S3 5442/5842 models using a new / better sensors comparing to previous generation? or better night performance is only by new SOC with a new ISP and processing?