I guess I'm new, be gentle! - upgrading firmware on vlan networks

Tim Brice

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the world of IP cams, my question relates to using the iVMS-4200 to upgrade firmware in a couple of Hikvision DS-2CD2355FWD-I cams that I have just installed on my home network.

My setup is that I have the 2 cameras and one port of my Synology NAS in their own VLAN. (remote viewing can be done through access to Surveillance Station) and all works really well.

The VLAN and firewall rules are set so they have no access to the outside world, they can only talk to the NAS.

I have setup firewall rules to allow access to the cams from my main LAN so I can directly access them from Internet Explorer or the iVMS desktop and mobile apps when I'm home on my network (or via VPN if I connect to my network externally that way).

The cameras came with V5.5.52 installed. I'm not is a desperate hurry to upgrade them but saw that V5.5.61 is available, at least on the Euro servers, not sure if that is still valid here in Australia?

I know I can upgrade them via the web interface, however I installed the iVMS desktop program yesterday, added the cameras and see a comment in the Device Management > Firmware Upgrade tab that they are "Not Upgradeable". Is this because the firmware hasn't been released to the wild yet, or is it because the cams don't have direct access to the internet, or something else??

If it is just direct access that is required, is there a particular IP address or port that I can add into the firewall rules, or would this then give them access back to Hikvision servers to "phone home" which is one thing I was trying to avoid? I'm not sure if the cams need to talk to the internet or just to the iVMS application and I may have some local ports blocked?

It's no real big deal either way, I'm just trying to play and learn etc

cheers

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read the forum posts on upgrading. I recommend that you NOT up grade unless there is a real problem that you need to have fixed. Also if the cameras were purchased from China they may not be upgradable. You need to research carefully.

Read the posts on how to in brick a camera.

Tim Brice

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks...

I did mention I'm not in a hurry to upgrade, I have no need to right now, I just want to know why the status is "Not Upgradeable", if it is network config or firmware availability on servers at the moment etc. My cams were bought from someone who is supposedly a genuine dealer here in Australia - does "Not Upgradeable" suggest otherwise, that they ARE Chinese rip offs, I thought I was looking at network issues.

There is nothing in the Wiki regarding upgrading over VLAN's that I can find, nor did I find anything searching the forum.