I guess Night Owl got my money..

Reaction score
So after owning a LION-4500 that I know was outdated and liking the DVR I bought a new 8 channel unit HDA10L-DVR8-1TB .
Boy did there customer support change!! I tried and knew the 3 pre-configured Night Owl setups would not work..
So I gave them a call, and asked for the RTSP address for my unit. Its like I asked for there bank account! Before they will help you cross a river now they told me to google rtsp and see if it helps because they will not support any 3rd party camera program, not even help with something so simple.

Find/Inspect gives me this:
Opening port 80...
HTTP request...
Failed with HTTP 12029
Opening port 8999...
HTTP 12029
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
No automatic configuration made
Done

So I have been playing with many different strings in Generic>RTSP H.264/MJPEG/MPEG4 to get these to work in blue iris, and I am getting to a Error: 8000274d; (refused; check IP address and port) 0 which to me means I am close to getting it working.
I also tried the strings on iSpy for Night Owl with no sucess.

I was wondering if anyone else has a newer model Night Owl and has had any success on getting it setup as I am starting to draw a blank and attempt to try different random manufactuers strings one by one.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Seth. IMO you should forget about this system, grit your teeth, and pony up the dollars to purchase a reliable system that isn't cheap and stupid. The killer is the personal time it takes to resolve these issues which, imo, when taken into account drives the cost of such inferior systems through the roof. Then add in the frustration. Then understand that you will have more problems in the future. I understand that this isn't the help you've asked for, but it's all I got for you and is offered with the hope that it helps you in the future.

Edit: I Hope someone else can get you the help you want Seth!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
If you've got or can install WireShark packet capture utility and know how to use it,
you may be able to scrape the rtsp URL used by the cam's own software when
showing its 'live view'. I've used this method on random chinese cams before to find
the rstp stream URL to suck it into BI, but note that this won't work if the cam is a
'cloud-only' sort of beastie...