I have a Ghost in my Garage!

Reaction score
Was putting out the trash tonight and noticed that one of the drawers on the toolbox was open, again. So I closed it and put the bag in the trash can, rolled it down the driveway and walked back.

Get to the garage door and notice that the drawer is open again. I pause and think that I know I closed it, right? Maybe not? I walk up and look at it a bit and think that my wife must be pranking me. She probably snuck out when I was down the driveway. After all she always points out that it is open when we get in the car.

So I know how to catch her! I'll check the cams!

Now I am not sure if I want to go back in the garage. Maybe we should move.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Samplenhold always comes thru with good background music for his videos...
That's likely siesmic activity from El Chapos guys tunneling past your neighborhood. No need to move....maybe get some ground penetrating radar and drop a grenade in the hole.
( sometimes my solutions are worse than the problem)

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Time to place a level on multiple parts of the toolbox and see if there is a slight incline somewhere around that drawer. Maybe some well-oiled bearings are helping the drawer open, especially if something heavier is laying toward the front of the drawer.

Reaction score
Time to place a level on multiple parts of the toolbox and see if there is a slight incline somewhere around that drawer. Maybe some well-oiled bearings are helping the drawer open, especially if something heavier is laying toward the front of the drawer.
Looked at all those things. Nope. It is a ghost. Working on a filter to allow seeing the ghost.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where I worked at in San Jose, CA during the Loma Prieta earthquake of '89 there was so much trembling going on for such a long time after the main shock that several drawers on these really big, roll-around parts cabinets slid out.

A person would only pull out 1 at a time because 1) they obstruct one another and 2) if you pull out more than 2 the whole cabinet will begin to tip because of the heaviness of the drawers. The design should have interlocked the drawers mechanically so that only 1 drawer at a time could be pulled open but, of course, it did not.

As the shaking continued, out comes a drawer....then another......then another....finally this HUGE parts cabinet falls forward and hits the cement floor of the shop, bending the drawer faces and the ball-bearing slider rails, just ruining this cabinet and of course, parts are all over the floor. Two of these cabinets did this, side by side.

The above is a supposition of events in my mind, as this happened a little over an hour after work ended for the day and no one was at the shop.

Last edited: