I have a network/PoE mystery on my hands

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I remember this one guy on our crew who was a former telephone co worker.....( showed me a thing or two) who, when I'd pull cable, (Like 4-5 boxes of Cat5e together) and get hung up, I'd stop to go check it out, and he'd get up the ladder and really rip on it. I mean like Jesus H Christ in a Chicken basket..."reef on it". I was like Dude theres no way all those pairs are gonna test out. "He's say you wanna bet lunch?"
I bought a couple lunches...
Based on my years of dealing with the telephone co and problems with my service at my business, I would not class telephone workers as cabling experts. ;)
I lost track of the number of times I had to show the nitwits that would show up from MaBell, that it was their line to my demarc was at fault, not the premise wiring as they would claim. They didn't understand the concept of what the test jack was for on the demarc on the side of the building. :smash:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You could switch the cameras to ePoE cameras from Dahua and go out to 800 meters if needed. That will drop network speed down to 10Mb/PS rather than 100, but for a single camera, unless it's a super, duper, ultra high resolution, greater than 15MP, it won't make any difference at all.

Last edited:

Photon Farmer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a thought...

On the hubs settings screen Status column possible speeds can be 10/100/1000 have you tried manually setting a slower speed?

I have had long run that would drop out and others that would make no connection at all, after manually setting slower port speed I would get stable connections