I have tenants that I'm willing to share SOME cameras with. How can I?

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a group of 4 girls in graduate school renting my house until December. I have a 7 camera system with a mix of Dahua and Hikvision cameras with Blue Iris 4 running. I would like to share the door camera and the outside front cameras with the tenants so they can keep an eye on anyone approaching. (I havent offered it yet in case its not possible). Questions are:

1 - can I somehow create a login on our smart TV to each camera or a group? Possibly by using the native software for the cameras?
2 - If I bought another Blue Iris license can the cameras be shared between both version 4 and 5?
3 - is there an easy way for them to just view the cameras without giving access to all of them? Also they wont need any administrator access
4 - Lastly, by doing any of the options can I restrict access from the camera setup so they dont acidentally alter something

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I typed out the below and then realized you were running BI4 and not BI5. My instructions are for BI5. Not sure if applicable to BI4.

----
1. Not sure on that one.
2. You mean run two instances of BI at the same time with one being an instance of BI4 and the other an instance of BI5? Not sure on that one either... I would think yes if on different computers.
3. You can add cameras to a group via Camera Settings -> General Tab and hit "Select" and you can create a specific group just for the girls. Then when you create their user login via Settings -> Users you can check "Limit to Camera Groups" and select the group of cameras you want to give them.
4. Yes. Don't give them Admin rights. You can further restrict them in the Settings -> User section. Lots of options available.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a group of 4 girls in graduate school renting my house until December. I have a 7 camera system with a mix of Dahua and Hikvision cameras with Blue Iris 4 running. I would like to share the door camera and the outside front cameras with the tenants so they can keep an eye on anyone approaching. (I havent offered it yet in case its not possible). Questions are:

1 - can I somehow create a login on our smart TV to each camera or a group? Possibly by using the native software for the cameras?
2 - If I bought another Blue Iris license can the cameras be shared between both version 4 and 5?
3 - is there an easy way for them to just view the cameras without giving access to all of them? Also they wont need any administrator access
4 - Lastly, by doing any of the options can I restrict access from the camera setup so they dont acidentally alter something

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
You just need to create a login for them and then create a group in BI and then add the cameras to the group (that you want them to have access to).

If the smart TV has an app store, (such as Roku, etc.) you can install IP Cam Viewer. The free version lets you connect one camera for free. You just need to add BI as a camera and enter their username and password. This will display the index page and show all cameras that they have access to. I can't recall if you need to specify a URL in IP Cam Viewer or not, I am not by my TV at the moment.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I typed out the below and then realized you were running BI4 and not BI5. My instructions are for BI5. Not sure if applicable to BI4.

----
1. Not sure on that one.
2. You mean run two instances of BI at the same time with one being an instance of BI4 and the other an instance of BI5? Not sure on that one either... I would think yes if on different computers.
3. You can add cameras to a group via Camera Settings -> General Tab and hit "Select" and you can create a specific group just for the girls. Then when you create their user login via Settings -> Users you can check "Limit to Camera Groups" and select the group of cameras you want to give them.
4. Yes. Don't give them Admin rights. You can further restrict them in the Settings -> User section. Lots of options available.
It may be worth the upgrade honestly. Ive been wanting to do it

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You just need to create a login for them and then create a group in BI and then add the cameras to the group (that you want them to have access to).

If the smart TV has an app store, (such as Roku, etc.) you can install IP Cam Viewer. The free version lets you connect one camera for free. You just need to add BI as a camera and enter their username and password. This will display the index page and show all cameras that they have access to. I can't recall if you need to specify a URL in IP Cam Viewer or not, I am not by my TV at the moment.
Quick question, is this for BI5 only?

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Great! I think that would be adequate. Its a Samsung smart tv so hopefully i can access the ip cam viewer.