I just can't get storage to work.

bob.m

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions, BI keeps filling up my disk and I'm having an issue figuring it out.

Here are the settings:

Clips and archiving:

New: goes to e:\New, Limit size 400 GB and move to folder Stored plus Queue for convert/export are the only options set. E drive is 512 G

Stored: goes to f:\Stored. Limit size 300GB and then Delete. F is also 512 G

It seems that E:New isn't either moving the files or not deleting after the move.

There is nothing else on E except the Alerts folder and that's limited to 50G and is only using 22M right now.

I deleted everything to show that BI isn't complaining on the Clip Storage screen but in about a day or two E will fill up and I'll get errors.

Attached is the current configuration.

I'm wondering if clicking Convert is holding files from being deleted? I do notice that not every file is getting converted but didn't drill down to look for a pattern there. I'll do that next.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Drive Space.pngClip Storage.pngStored.pngNew.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no reason to move files around. Write everything to NEW and set the limit by size only, not by days. Frankly, depending on how many cameras you're running and their resolution and frame rates, you don't have a whole lot of space available to begin with. Typically the basic configuration is a 4TB drive for video storage

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As above but also curious as to why you convert the clips? Why not just keep them as BVR files?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The E dive is nearly empty
the F drive is empty.

What do you mean by filling up the disk? If you set BI to use 400GB it will use 100% of that space.

what is AUX3, provide screen shot of the AUX3 settings.
Provide screen shot of the of the BI status log tab screen.

Are you continuous recording?

If you have manually deleted BI files you have corrupted the database !!! If you did this than delete all files im the DB folder on the C drive and reboot the computer.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
======================================

bob.m

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks All,

This is running on a VM so I was adding disk as I added cameras. I have enough disk for the cameras because when I go look I have files older than today. I rotate on 4Gig max size for all cameras and don't use time.

Thanks SouthernYankee, I wasn't aware that deleting files manually would mess up BI, I convert so I can look at them outside BI but will drop some disks and reallocate a much larger instance. However I will still need Stored since I really want to convert to m4v.

I'm dropping my extended drives and merging them into one big 1T drive for now, I'll format w/ 1M blocks and only have New for now to see if I stop filling up. I'll go grab another drive for more long term storage.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can look at clips "outside of BI" simply by using UI3, the built in web interface. I only export if I need to supply video to someone else for evidentiary purposes and even then I supply the original BVR file to prove chain of evidence.