I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

polldav

n3wb
Reaction score
@polldav

First, make sure your group frame size is decent here. By default it only comes out at around 720p resolution which sucks on a large display.

For a long time, Blue Iris always streamed H.264 camera groups at their native frame size (as set in the location above). That changed a few months ago so that resolution limits in streaming profiles can cause camera groups to be streamed at a lower resolution.

Jpeg HD is a much simpler but less efficient streaming method. UI3's 2160p profile should be the same in terms of image quality and deliver a better frame rate with less bandwidth usage.
Thanks for the reply, the two modes do look much closer in the group view once I changed all the settings and limited group FPS to 5 instead of 10. And in the single camera mode, the 2160p is definitely much nicer looking. I had hidden the PTZ controls on the app a long time ago so I had actually never seen those group options until today!

I think essentially the 2160 must prioritize FPS and the Jpeg views prioritizes the full image size (now that I unchecked the frame size limit). For my group stream that was comparing a 1.5fps Jpeg to a 10fps video feed. Now that I limited the group to 5fps the 2160p setting looks a lot nicer.

Edit: this is all over a LAN

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is something like that. I'm surprised you notice a quality difference in the group stream at 5 FPS vs 10 FPS though. The 2160p streaming profile sets a bit rate limit of 8 Mbps which is plenty high enough for 4K @ 10 FPS.

polldav

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, it is something like that. I'm surprised you notice a quality difference in the group stream at 5 FPS vs 10 FPS though. The 2160p streaming profile sets a bit rate limit of 8 Mbps which is plenty high enough for 4K @ 10 FPS.
I noticed in a few specific places only - I made a Jpg/2160 comparison if you're curious. It's nothing huge, just a few spots get that video compression look. I've had BI for a few years now and it has always looked like the top half of this image so it stood out when I upgraded. I didn't put all the settings back to what they were originally so this image is much closer than it started out.

Dropbox - CamDiff.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah. There is aliasing (jagged edges) in the first part you circled, and a Moiré pattern in the second circled part. This happens in one stream but not the other because jpeg and H.264 streams are scaled using different methods. There is no easy fix for that short of changing the streaming profile and seeing if it gets any better or worse.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I already notified support about it. Roll back to a previous version in the meantime.

Reaction score
i've noticed that my camera view will go blank and refresh a lot, started happening a few weeks back. does anyone else have this problem?
still using the UI2, i kinda like it better than 3.

get error on the screen:
"UI2 has detected that your Blue Iris session may have expired. This page will reload momentarily."
"Camera list is empty!"

Last edited: