I need a Ethernet/power cable pigtail...

okestone

n3wb
Reaction score
I need a Ethernet/power cable pigtail for an EmpireTech 4MP Ultra Low Light Turret IP Camera. Is there anywhere to buy one? I'm not having any luck.

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I need a Ethernet/power cable pigtail for an EmpireTech 4MP Ultra Low Light Turret IP Camera. Is there anywhere to buy one? I'm not having any luck.
It should come with a pigtail for both Ethernet and separate power. But is there a reason you aren't just connecting it with PoE (Power over Ethernet) so you don't need a separate power connection at the camera?

If you don't already have a PoE switch, but just want to power this one camera, you can buy a single PoE injector.

okestone

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear about what's going on.:) This camera was installed and working for a couple of years until moisture got in the RJ45 part of the pigtail connector and corroded it. I have tried everything to clean it up and resurrect it, but to no avail. So I need to replace it if possible.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.

Since your'e lucky enough to still have the pigtail intact (too many come here and ask AFTER they've cut it off or someone else ripped it off and have no idea of the pinout/color code) write down the color code as it appears on the blank image below, being careful to match color to pin number then you can punch it down to a female Keystone jack or crimp onto a male RJ-45 (NOTE pin layout!) and use a waterproof coupler (bulky).

Do you have a DVM or continuity checker? If so, could you strip a tiny amount of insulation off each wire and see which color goes to which pin of the RJ-45 female?

Camera_RJ45_FEMALE_pinout.jpg
RJ45-Pinout-T568B.jpg

okestone

n3wb
Reaction score
RESOLVED: Well it didn't seem like a replacement cable was going to be an option so I set out to repair it. Since I am using the camera with POE, I cut the cable just above the external power jack which left me with 6 wires with standard rj45 colors except without blue striped and brown striped wires, but an added red and black wire. Used Google to determine blue with stripe is +, and brown with stripe is -. Connected it and it functions as designed.:):D:clap:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Standard RJ45 pin-out, except red goes to pin#5 (blue stripe) and black to pin #7 (brown stripe).
As a fly on the wall, I'm thinking it was a mistake to hook the red and black wires to the rj45. The red and black wires are for the 12 volt power input. If you connect to a POE switch (usually running POE mode A) it might be moot. But if you use a POE injector (usually mode B) you'll be sending nominal 48 volts into the camera's 12 volt input. It's possible that with the intact pigtail, the brown wire goes to both pins 7 and 8 of the RJ45, and the blue wire to pins 4 and 5.

Here's a picture somebody else made for an older camera. No guarantee that the red/black situation is the same for yours, but I'd be willing to bet a nickle that it is.
CameraPigtail-1.jpg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Like the diagram above ,,,,from what Ive seen over the years here is that many cameras use a nonstandard wiring color code. there are pictures here( edit-like the one above) on the forum
I think only 6 wires are crimped into the RJ-45 on Dahua OEM's from 1-2 years ago....no idea what a new cam wiring looks like.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As a fly on the wall, I'm thinking it was a mistake to hook the red and black wires to the rj45. The red and black wires are for the 12 volt power input. If you connect to a POE switch (usually running POE mode A) it might be moot. But if you use a POE injector (usually mode B) you'll be sending nominal 48 volts into the camera's 12 volt input. It's possible that with the intact pigtail, the brown wire goes to both pins 7 and 8 of the RJ45, and the blue wire to pins 4 and 5.

Here's a picture somebody else made for an older camera. No guarantee that the red/black situation is the same for yours, but I'd be willing to bet a nickle that it is.
View attachment 187769
You might as well be talking to yourself, IMO....my suggestion for using a DVM or continuity checker to confirm wire color to pin assignment was apparently ignored as well, so.....

Maybe the POE is 802.3af/at compliant and won't "talk" to the red/black so no power from the PSE to them.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, I guess we all learned something that you can make a mistake and thing still works.....
Take the win for a working camera, put please don't recommend this red black crimp as a Global solution to the masses.
@TonyR im sure the power/data negotiation from the switch musta decided to not power that pair .