I need a vandal proof Ip camera

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have post pic of a few Ghetto apartments I installed cameras in. Just got a call from the manager and they want me to add 16 more cameras to the buildings stairwells. I will need a vandal proof cam for the area between the entry doors that will watch the mail boxes. the ceilings are very low. Pretty sure no matter what I put in will be destroyed as soon as someone spots it. Thought about a smoke detector camera but I am pretty sure that will be broken to because that area is a perfect spot for the homeless people to stop by and hit the crack pipe a few times. anyone have any luck installing in a area like this?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Totally vandal proof is a real problem since all it takes is a can of spray paint to cover the lens area. There are heavily re-enforced enclosures, complete with ballistic steel and bullet proof glass, but bring a big checkbook. They normally accommodate a bullet style camera.

First hit on a duckduck search -

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The owner of the building will be horrified when he see's the cost of these cameras. He will probably just have me order a dozen regular ip cams and replace them every week.
I found these plastic domes that will fit over the cam and they are cheap so I may try that first. when someone uses it for a salad bowl ill put up another. I really hate having to deal with this type of shit. but someone has to do it!

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can kind of go the "stealth" route here. I have hidden a small camera in a piece of galvanized conduit pipe I then painted over (except for a small hole) and then mounted it where the ceiling and wall come together. It looks just like an exposed electrical conduit. Put it in all of them and complain about having to replace "old electrical wires" while you are doing it and they will probably last longer?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
There are various cams with a separate lens on an extension that are more covert that you might be able to hide better. But being realistic about it I'd guess that they'd find it fairly quickly anyway.

Maybe better, just put in some relatively inexpensive cams and consider it a source of continuing revenue.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are various cams with a separate lens on an extension that are more covert that you might be able to hide better. But being realistic about it I'd guess that they'd find it fairly quickly anyway.

Maybe better, just put in some relatively inexpensive cams and consider it a source of continuing revenue.
Thats probably what I will end up doing. I was thinking about possible hiding a cam in the built in mailboxes that are recessed in the wall. Ill need to take another look and see what I can come up with. This customer will bitch about the price no matter what I do so I may as well go really high and tell him it is what it is

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will look into these dome covers. Thank you! I will order a few and give them to the manager and let them deal with it. I really do not have the time to be bothered with this type of thing. I posted pics here when I did the original installation earlier this summer. I log into the nvr the night I had installed about 6 cameras just to see how they looked. 3 of them say no signal. I look at the recording and watch a dude take them down with a claw hammer, so I replace them. of course they took the camera with them. the dope dealers really enjoyed my presence in there building let me tell ya. I had to carry a gun with me on that install .one of my employees had his lunch and change stolen out of the truck while we were 15 ft away from it! some little shit bag opened the drivers door and grabbed what he could and slipped away. this time we will be prepaired. 4 techs, 4 guns!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can buy "super vandal proof" covers for some domes

many cameras has built in functions for "spray/covered"-alert, so you will get atleast a notifaction if someone painted it black
Nice idea.
Just curious what a smaller faced hammer, like a 20oz. framing hammer would do, if anything...or a 24 oz. ball peen.
That big surface on that single jack, even though it weighs 3-4 lbs., may keep it from fracturing the dome. And single jack hammers aren't that common with people that don't actually work for a living, IMO.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice idea.
Just curious what a smaller faced hammer, like a 20oz. framing hammer would do, if anything...or a 24 oz. ball peen.
That big surface on that single jack, even though it weighs 3-4 lbs., may keep it from fracturing the dome. And single jack hammers aren't that common with people that don't actually work for a living, IMO.
I think most of the damage will be from someones fist or a empty Mad Dog bottle. They really can't afford hammers in this area. If he has me do this job I will post a pic and maybe we can place bets on how fast they are destroyed!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Weren't the police interested in the camera theft?

If not, it sounds like a problematic site. You could always spin it towards how much easier it will make their lives if the area is covered with cameras as then the dealing will stop.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Weren't the police interested in the camera theft?

If not, it sounds like a problematic site. You could always spin it towards how much easier it will make their lives if the area is covered with cameras as then the dealing will stop.
No, the police could really care less about theft. 2 days ago the just found a 25 year old woman dead that was shot in the face in a park directly behind one of the apartments I installed about 80 cameras in this past summer. I was actually surprised that caught the person responsible for the murder. This is in East Cleveland oh which is like another planet! the city officials are just as bad as the people that live there. I hate to even say this, not like i am grouping people up its just how it is in this area. while we were at the apartments this summer. I think we were there about 2 weeks. we would watch police chase people through the neighborhood on a daily basis. It was almost comical. we would also see cops park behind a building and get a BJ from any number of the whores walking around. I am still kicking myself in the cornhole for taking this job in the first place.But it kept my guys busy and employed! If you watch the local news there must be at least 3 murders a week which is pretty bad. tis area only covers 3 sq miles. I caught on camera a week after we finished the install some guy walking in the door with a gas can. change clothes in a hallway directly in front of a camera and put on a weave he must have found in the parking lot then kick in a apartment door and set it on fire then walk away! I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. Pretty sure this area is ranked the worst in ohio. sad thing is there are old homes just outside the area that are selling for 2-3 million dollars!

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
should do nothing special, because its polycarbonate glass.
its what @sebastiantombs already suggest above.

in my opinion its nearly impossible to break thicker polycarbonate glass with a hammer.

it will may deform at the point where it got hit, but thats all

sure you will have quality loss, you cannot expect vandalproof and best quality. also if IR is needed you need IR floodlights.

normal dome glass is acrylic.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
should do nothing special, because its polycarbonate glass.
its what @sebastiantombs already suggest above.

in my opinion its nearly impossible to break thicker polycarbonate glass with a hammer.

it will may deform at the point where it got hit, but thats all

sure you will have quality loss, you cannot expect vandalproof and best quality. also if IR is needed you need IR floodlights.
In just ordered a dome made from this material to see how they work. it will be better than nothing. The lip on the edge seems pretty small so I will need to fabricate some sort of ring to secure it. ill let you know what I come up with

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
No, the police could really care less about theft. 2 days ago the just found a 25 year old woman dead that was shot in the face in a park directly behind one of the apartments I installed about 80 cameras in this past summer. I was actually surprised that caught the person responsible for the murder. This is in East Cleveland oh which is like another planet! the city officials are just as bad as the people that live there. I hate to even say this, not like i am grouping people up its just how it is in this area. while we were at the apartments this summer. I think we were there about 2 weeks. we would watch police chase people through the neighborhood on a daily basis. It was almost comical. we would also see cops park behind a building and get a BJ from any number of the whores walking around. I am still kicking myself in the cornhole for taking this job in the first place.But it kept my guys busy and employed! If you watch the local news there must be at least 3 murders a week which is pretty bad. tis area only covers 3 sq miles. I caught on camera a week after we finished the install some guy walking in the door with a gas can. change clothes in a hallway directly in front of a camera and put on a weave he must have found in the parking lot then kick in a apartment door and set it on fire then walk away! I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. Pretty sure this area is ranked the worst in ohio. sad thing is there are old homes just outside the area that are selling for 2-3 million dollars!
Again that might be a way to spin it. You caught a murderer last week because of my cameras. If you let them get away with stealing them then the next time you'll have no evidence to go on.