I need help building a pc

vrok

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,new here i hope i posted in the right place.

I work for a security company and we need to build a new pc because the one we have atm (i3 2100 and hd 7750) do not run well at all,cpu is at 100%.
We have NVMS 2.0 and i think ~50 cameras but they only pop on screen when they see motion so we don't run all at once,still runs poor atm.

I was thinking of building a ryzen 5 2600 with a rx 570 but i saw a bit of talk here and other places about quicksync from intel(not sure how it works atm or if i would even use it) and i don't want to buy a pc and not be able to run much better.

If anyone can help me decide if i should go with intel or ryzen 5,if intel maybe what model ?
Thank you

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not familiar with that particular VMS but if it is similar to NVMS 2.0 Lite Edition, the recommended (NOT minimum) requirements in the PDF Specs are:
  • CPU: Intel i5-7400 @ 3.00GHz
  • RAM: 16G
  • Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6GB
  • O/S: Windows 10 64 bit

vrok

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes,that's the program,didn't know it was called lite as well.

I saw he recommended requirements and that's why i'm a bit worried on buying a ryzen,they don't give any amd cpu or gpu.

Any idea if it will work well with a ryzen or should i go safe with intel ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any idea if it will work well with a ryzen or should i go safe with intel ?
I have no idea...the safe bet would be to go with the Intel as recommended.

Furthermore., if you should decide to go with Blue Iris 5 VMS in the future, you'll have Intel Quick Sync capability as utilized by Blue Iris. "Quick Sync" is Intel's version of a dedicated video encoding and decoding hardware core. The added nVidia video card would likely not be needed then.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You didn't mention the resolution your cameras are running at, but total resolution is what you need to worry about, not the actual number of cameras. That being said, 50 cameras is a lot and requires processing power whether or not you are actually viewing them on screen.

Use the calculators in the wiki to determine how powerful your processor needs to be, but don't be shocked if it is a lot. You might actually find it easier to split the 50 cameras into two different systems. Sure that will take twice as many computers and monitors to view them on, but the extra screen space will probably be welcomed, and if two computers is what it takes to get a decent frame rate/resolution solution, it will be worth it in the end.

vrok

n3wb
Reaction score
So our setup atm is we have 4 cameras we always have on 1 monitor,they are 1080p @15fps and on the 2nd monitor the cameras that see motion pop up and after 5-10 seconds they close(2nd monitor also has 4 slots for 4 cameras that see motion)

The rest we only use if we want to look or because they don't have motion alarm,we look at them only if the alarm goes off so we check them manually.

Not sure how or what to pick in the wiki to calculate the cpu i need. I was thinking about the i5 9400F with a gtx 1650 super if i should go with intel.(going by the recommended requirements from NVME )

Also the rest are kept at a lower resolution untill you fullscreen them

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am not familiar with that NVMS, but I doubt you would want to give up the Intel integrated graphics completely (the F in i5-9400F means no integrated graphics, that product is marketed directly at gamers with dedicated Graphics cards). It's not clear to me from the manual why it needs a high-end discrete graphics card, but I'm guessing something to do with VRAM for large monitor space/TV wall possibly?

If the system has previously been working "well enough" on your "i3-2100" (2-core, 3.1GHz, Gen-2) and budget is a big consideration (I assume since you are referring to mostly $120-$150 CPU's), you could consider picking up a used compatible chip from the same generation (i.e. i7-2600k / i7-2700k 4-core/8-thread you can grab used for under $50) that would probably work with all the same RAM and motherboard (double check compatibility) you already have. Otherwise, if you can afford the motherboard/RAM/Upgrade the i5-9400 would be a 6-core, much newer option with even higher performance than the R5-2600, that still have Intel integrated graphics support, and you can upgrade to NVIDIA 1060 if required. If you go this route just recognize you are still selecting very old hardware for your VMS system and you will face challenges getting replacement motherboards and compatible memory when they get this old (both were launched 2011, 8 years is great-great-grandpa in computer years). That being said I am still using an i7-2600k, and it is working fine for Blue Iris on my small home system, just not great.

You can look for links that can give you a small idea of the relative performance of an i7-2600k (I cant find much on the i3-2100) vs an R5-2600 vs i5-9400, I personally love Gamers Nexus reviews and writeups: Intel i7-2600K Revisit: 2018 Benchmarks vs. 9900K, Ryzen, & More

Last edited: