I need ideas, on where to install a camera at the entrance

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Initial plan was to install it on the stucco, by the door, but I'm not able to do that anymore(inside on the wall).
Running a pipe or something, to cover the wire on the wall would look pretty bad imho.
I have tried above the column at the porch entrance, or under the porch roof, but none of the look good.
I see peoples top of the head, when they get close.
My last thought is to mount it on top of the balustrade, where the picture shows an arrow.
It would look weird, also the beam is narrower(3-3/4"), than the camera.
My wife is not OK, with using an extension pipe coming down from the roof.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I took a different approach for the same reason. I set up a bullet cam at ground level looking up. No one seems to notice as it looks pretty much like a landscape light. No problems with ball caps or hoodies obstructing a facial view either. You get a decent close up face shot every time as most people look out or down when walking and it does not ugly up the front entry at all. It provides a full view of the door and ground level packages and fewer false triggers not facing the road or other moving objects like trees or clouds. (Last pic is my "attack cat" guarding the entrance when I'm away.)

UPS_090518.jpgUPS090718_02.jpgTJ_Door_Guard.png

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks good, but I would prefer a view when people are approaching my door. What FOV camera do you have, a 6MM?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are asking me? It is a 6mm short Dahua bullet in corridor mode view (have to rotate the barrel 1/4 turn too to get horizontal view again though which is annoying because the sun shade visor thingy is then on the side.)
I also have a 5231 doing overview from the garage looking out from the house w the front entry in view to the side so I capture who is driving\walking approaching the house and will trigger if the UPS vans shows...(and also when the clouds move and all the fake triggers too.) The ground looking up cam just seemed to me the best way to get good facial, see packages , reduce falsies and to "hide" the camera in plain site. And no drilling or mounting on the stonework.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I also have a 5231R-ZE, that overlooks across the porch(installed it on the garage side wall). With that, I can see packages or things like that.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Initial plan was to install it on the stucco, by the door, but I'm not able to do that anymore(inside on the wall).
Running a pipe or something, to cover the wire on the wall would look pretty bad imho.
I have tried above the column at the porch entrance, or under the porch roof, but none of the look good.
I see peoples top of the head, when they get close.
My last thought is to mount it on top of the balustrade, where the picture shows an arrow.
It would look weird, also the beam is narrower(3-3/4"), than the camera.
My wife is not OK, with using an extension pipe coming down from the roof.
Any help would be appreciated.
Hire an electrician certified in low voltage to properly run the wire down inside the wall, from the attic, then out of the stucco.
This is a favorite cam for mounting at 5ft next to the door with a 2.8mm lens. Paint to match the stucco.
Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F MiniWedge

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I have that camera, but since I have changed my mind about installing it on the wall, I'm searching for a newer 4MP camera and a different location.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a rough estimate, to pull the wire down from the attic(it is already above the living room), if it is less than an hour job, it will be $80.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, I can't get any type of service person for anything to even come out and say hello for less than $100 bucks.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I took a different approach for the same reason. I set up a bullet cam at ground level looking up. No one seems to notice as it looks pretty much like a landscape light. No problems with ball caps or hoodies obstructing a facial view either. You get a decent close up face shot every time as most people look out or down when walking and it does not ugly up the front entry at all. It provides a full view of the door and ground level packages and fewer false triggers not facing the road or other moving objects like trees or clouds. (Last pic is my "attack cat" guarding the entrance when I'm away.)

View attachment 51701View attachment 51702View attachment 51700
This might be genius

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello tibimakai, what about a dummy mailbox or a bird feeding table.

Maybe something like that and bury the cable to it, camera could then be mounted at around 4' height allowing for a good angle for faces and allow it to be in the shade as well.

20191221_025556.jpg

And placement could be around where I've circled in green, and depending upon what is on the left a 2MP varifocal could give you hours of entertainment.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have picked this one up, for $3 and I will place the 5442T-AS in it. My daughter will have a project to do. She will paint it for me.
4ft, hmmm I will have to think about it.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The rough rule round the forums for capturing good facial images is around 6' to 8' tibimakai, but a little lower won't hurt. It'll also help make things easier to work on as well.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
6-8' I feel it is to high. I have tried the wedge camera, just above the door and when I was in front of the door, all I could see, is top of my head.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is why I'm thinking about 4' plus tibimakai, as it seems a better height for capturing faces. And if it's disguised somewhat it should go unnoticed, and a dummy cam or two would possibly even hide it even better.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could try the height test with a ladder and some duct tape inside tibimakai. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to work.

It also stops nosy neighbours from discovering your nefarious plan.