I need ideas, on where to install a camera at the entrance

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And one thing that we've forgot to ask tibimakai is which way is south to your front?

As that makes things more interesting, don't want to point a cam towards the sun if you can help it or it will need to be shaded.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
My house looks like a prison, with cameras at every corner, including a 59225 at the corner of the garage. Another corner of my garage, has three cameras and an IR light. I don't care about them.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So sundown may be interesting.

Is the area I marked in front of your decking in shadow most of the day?

Also found another good idea, possibly. Oriental style stone lanterns, here's an example.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
3 at one corner(alley 4431R-Z, LPR Z12, 5231R-Z), 2 at the other(5231R-Z and the 59225), one across the porch(5231R-ZE), Ring doorbell, and this camera will be another one.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not a bad idea, but I have set my mind on the fake birdhouse. I have it already and I also have the aluminum bracket, to mount it on the column.
I like the birdhouse concept and might want to adopt that for my front door entry cam. Not sure.
Do you have a link to the birdhouse you got at Michaels? I'd like to check it out. Thanks!

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the link at post #15, on page #1.
There is another house that is round, that would work as well.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the link at post #15, on page #1.
There is another house that is round, that would work as well.
Thanks! Sorry I missed the link on page 1. Can't beat the price on that. Good looking too. Looking forward to seeing the finished version and camera images.
Link below to the round one I think you are referring too. I like the one you picked out. Camera should fit okay in there. Fun project!

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I took a different approach for the same reason. I set up a bullet cam at ground level looking up. No one seems to notice as it looks pretty much like a landscape light. No problems with ball caps or hoodies obstructing a facial view either. You get a decent close up face shot every time as most people look out or down when walking and it does not ugly up the front entry at all. It provides a full view of the door and ground level packages and fewer false triggers not facing the road or other moving objects like trees or clouds. (Last pic is my "attack cat" guarding the entrance when I'm away.)

View attachment 51701View attachment 51702View attachment 51700
Nice job. Great looking guard cat too. I like the front entry, stonework and door. Very sharp looking.
Could you please share a pic of how the cam looks mounted and provide the model number of the 6mm short Dahua bullet you used. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mike46052

n3wb
Reaction score
I took a different approach for the same reason. I set up a bullet cam at ground level looking up. No one seems to notice as it looks pretty much like a landscape light. No problems with ball caps or hoodies obstructing a facial view either. You get a decent close up face shot every time as most people look out or down when walking and it does not ugly up the front entry at all. It provides a full view of the door and ground level packages and fewer false triggers not facing the road or other moving objects like trees or clouds. (Last pic is my "attack cat" guarding the entrance when I'm away.)

View attachment 51701View attachment 51702View attachment 51700
I really like this idea..are you able to post a couple pics of what the camera looks like to someone walking up to the front door?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't done anything yet. I foresee a bit of an issue, that I will have to fix. The camera's ball pushed all the way down, it's still not in the horizontal plain. I may have to prop the back part up a bit, to give it bit of an angle. That way the lens will be perpendicular to the horizontal plain. I will install it at eye level on the column at my porch.
I will work on it this weekend.
What paint should I use on the birdhouse, to be weatherproof?
It seems like I will have to drill a 2" hole to clear the 2 IR LEDs, which by the way are over(top part) the lens, next to each other. Also I will have to drill a hole a bit lower, for the microphone.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What paint should I use on the birdhouse, to be weatherproof?
It seems like I will have to drill a 2" hole to clear the 2 IR LEDs, which by the way are over(top part) the lens, next to each other. Also I will have to drill a hole a bit lower, for the microphone.
I'm guessing you can use any type of paint that will adhere easily to wood. After that, I would spray a coat of varnish over that to protect the paint finish (matte or glossy depending on your preference). I would test a small area first (bottom area that's out of sight) to make sure the varnish doesn't mess up the paint. That will be a fun project for your daughter. You might end up spending more for paint than what you paid for the birdhouse!

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm hoping to use up some paints, that I already have. Those are for cars, though.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could try a test on a scrap bit of wood tibimakai, it's the only way to know for sure if the idea will work.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas Canary Red paint for example. I'm thinking, that it may work for the roof section.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you considering stencilling the sides?

And what other colours are you considering? As red is always a classic choice.