I need some good door alarm sensors

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hoping someone here has some experience with some good high quality door alarm sensors. I know some work at greater distances than others and these will be installed at a lit of locations. I'll need to purchase up to 150 of these things, so cheap is good, but high quality and zero falseing is more important.

I'm off to do some searching, but any help would be awesome. Secondly if anyone knows of a good outdoor sensor to work across chain link gates and such that too would be welcome.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Honeywell 5816's or 5815's. The smaller transmitters have smaller batteries and smaller antennas. Of course, you would need a honeywell alarm panel along with it.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Vector18, that info is appreciated. I need something just like this at several locations so that will help me out a bunch.

I mainly need a bunch of the basic magnetic contacts to start with, they can be normally open or closed as my software can be set for either for alarms. I was thinking of getting the "wide gap" versions as they should be most easily installed on multiple door types and locations, and should be best at producing no false alarms at all due to the stronger magnets. Anything wrong with either of these below? I'd like a nice one that did both NO/NC but have not found a nice cheap option in wide gap as of yet though.

United Security Products 400-SP Commercial Wide Gap Contact

SECO-LARM SM-216Q/GY Wide Gap Magnetic Contact

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why would you want one that does no/nc? NC would all that you would need to do a door for an alarm system.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why would you want one that does no/nc? NC would all that you would need to do a door for an alarm system.
Just for basic flexibility, I know many people use the switch to control something electrical, light a light, so they want NO so when a door is opened the circuit is completed. I don't care either way as my software can be set for NO or NC, I just thought having the option would be nice and we could have a standard part we could use anytime we needed a switch.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Just for basic flexibility, I know many people use the switch to control something electrical, light a light, so they want NO so when a door is opened the circuit is completed. I don't care either way as my software can be set for NO or NC, I just thought having the option would be nice and we could have a standard part we could use anytime we needed a switch.
Do you have a security business?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, though I might as well have nowadays. I work in IT covering a vast array of what my company does, but cameras and security is now a large part of it. I work with 80+ physical locations and have 76 separate DVRs now with right at 900 cameras. Now expanding for more alerting so moving into the security side more so I get alerts for activity at locations and door alarms to alert where doors should never be opening at night.

I ended up ordering some SECO-LARM wude gat sensors and they are working well so far.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
No, though I might as well have nowadays. I work in IT covering a vast array of what my company does, but cameras and security is now a large part of it. I work with 80+ physical locations and have 76 separate DVRs now with right at 900 cameras. Now expanding for more alerting so moving into the security side more so I get alerts for activity at locations and door alarms to alert where doors should never be opening at night.

I ended up ordering some SECO-LARM wude gat sensors and they are working well so far.

That's awesome, I would love that set up.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've personally used what are called fire cracker sensors. Basically a magnet that's maybe an inch tall, 1/8" - 1/4" diameter. You drill the hole at the top of the door, drop the magnet in. Then on the frame, you drill up, insert the sensor. Concealed, cheap, dependable. Here's a link to a random one so you see what it looks like but if you go to an alarm supply place you can get them cheaper.

https://www.123securityproducts.com/1075-n.html?gclid=COKElcvLqr4CFY17fgodXWgAOA