I Ordered an Axis Communications Axis Q1808-LE Camera

Parley

Known around here
Dec 19, 2015
Cypress, California
I have been looking at this camera for a few days now and finally decided to order it. It has a big 4/3" sensor. It is a 12mm to 48mm varifocal IP camera. I like the 90-degree view at the 12mm setting. There is a good chance that I can replace two cameras with it. It is also has a 4K resolution. The price is on the steep side though at just over $2K. I will make a report back on it. It is scheduled to come in this Friday. However, we are getting the roof redone starting Sunday, so maybe late next week before I install it.

I forgot the link:

Last edited:
Awesome! I can’t wait to see the results from this camera. I've been considering it for a while. It seems like it will perform really well at night, given its 4/3 sensor size. I wish Dahua had kept the 4/3 PTZ or at least replaced it with a similar sensor in some newer models.

I have been looking at this camera for a few days now and finally decided to order it. It has a big 4/3" sensor. It is a 12mm to 48mm varifocal IP camera. I like the 90-degree view at the 12mm setting. There is a good chance that I can replace two cameras with it. It is also has a 4K resolution. The price is on the steep side though at just over $2K. I will make a report back on it. It is scheduled to come in this Friday. However, we are getting the roof redone starting Sunday, so maybe late next week before I install it.

Do some test & review on this forum :)
Maybe more people will be interested ;)

Reactions: tech101
Awesome! I can’t wait to see the results from this camera. I've been considering it for a while. It seems like it will perform really well at night, given its 4/3 sensor size. I wish Dahua had kept the 4/3 PTZ or at least replaced it with a similar sensor in some newer models.
I agree. If Axis can put the 4/3" sensor in this type of camera and size, others can as well. This should be a newer version of the 4/3" sensor than the one Dahua used in their PTZ that we both have.

Nice to see pass through POE is starting to be a thing in the video security industry.

Not sure if the 51 watts consumption relates to its continuous vs maximum when the pass through is used with POE++?!?

No mention on the Micro SD Card capacity supported?? :rolleyes:

You would figure in this price range human & vehicle detection would be standard?!?

LPR is obviously one of the selling points so vehicle make, model, colour etc would be expected.

Interested to see how this camera performs indicating the speed vs accuracy using optics alone.

All of the serious hardware incorporate radar to determine the speed, direction, height, number of targets etc.

Reactions: Parley and CanCuba
Nice to see pass through POE is starting to be a thing in the video security industry.

Not sure if the 51 watts consumption relates to its continuous vs maximum when the pass through is used with POE++?!?

You would figure in this price range human & vehicle detection would be standard?!?

LPR is obviously one of the selling points so vehicle make, model, colour etc would be expected.

Interested to see how this camera performs indicating the speed vs accuracy using optics alone.

All of the serious hardware incorporate radar to determine the speed, direction, height, number of targets etc.

Yeah, the 51W draw is quite something. I imagine that's with the POE passthrough which would be a really handy feature when it comes to reducing cabling.

Reactions: Parley
that 51w is max for POE++ which is required for PoE out...

typical usage 15W, max 25W...

View attachment 204669

Thanks for that as I was about to go directly to the Axis website to confirm. :thumb:

Want to see how this camera handles nighttime video in colour with and without the white LED.

Very curious to know if they have adopted the same lighting scheme as Hikvision offering hybrid lighting.

The datasheet of this camera answered a lot of your questions.

Micro SD card is supported
Axis Object Analytics is standard
Axis License Plate Verifier is supported, but not included. Shape/Color are all experimental features.

How Axis License Plate Verifier works on my discontinued Q1785-LE
1728574472441.png

Last edited:
Do You have 5442-S3 or/and 5849 (Color4K) for comparison?
Yes, I do. It is the EmpireTech IPC-B54IR-Z4E-S3 version. I have a few of them. In fact, it will be a direct comparison. Another camera I have to compare it with is the Hikvision 4mm bullet camera with the 1/1.2" sensor which is a quite good camera. I have a few of these. One more camera to compare it with that I have is the Dahua DH-SD8A820WA-HNF PTZ which also has the 4/3" sensor. As I stated earlier, we will be getting a new roof put on the house starting Sunday, so I will not be able to mount the camera in its location for at least a week. However, that will not prevent me from hooking it up temporarily and do some testing.

Yes, I do. It is the EmpireTech IPC-B54IR-Z4E-S3 version. I have a few of them. In fact, it will be a direct comparison. Another camera I have to compare it with is the Hikvision 4mm bullet camera with the 1/1.2" sensor which is a quite good camera. I have a few of these. One more camera to compare it with that I have is the Dahua DH-SD8A820WA-HNF PTZ which also has the 4/3" sensor. As I stated earlier, we will be getting a new roof put on the house starting Sunday, so I will not be able to mount the camera in its location for at least a week. However, that will not prevent me from hooking it up temporarily and do some testing.
What’s the model of that Hikvision 1/1.2" camera that you have?