I skipped a step told myself not to do it did it anyway,

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Dan and I live in Michigan a tad north Grand Rapids.

This site, the information here wow great! A long ways off from the PTZ cameras I had pointed out the windows few years back with Ispy for control.

Anyway quick list of hardware in use at this time.

8 camera DVR

An an overview to monitor the entry drive, parking areas and buildings behind the house. Been in place for several years now, low quality but tells me what I need to know and without having to get up.

IP cams 1 each,

IPC-HFW4431R-Z

IPC-T5442T-ZE

IP cams used to monitor a rear field area that can not be seen from the house, mostly watching the wildlife back there. First there was just one, as per normal after while one wasn't good enough and added a second 5442 camera.

Switch

Cisco SG300-52MP 52-Port Gigabit PoE.

Router,

Netgear R6400 (provides VPN access to LAN) behind a U-verse modem/router. Uverse router offers basically nothing.

Various desktops, laptops phones tablets etc you know the normal.

Only "home automation" if you want to call it that is a nest thermostat.

Very limited for ISP options here, U-verse is top of the heap. "Down" is livable but "up" is...well.. let me put it this way, I walk in front of a camera phone in hand, I see me on the screen a minute or two later!

I've been using SMART PSS and with that a 1TB drive in my computer for NVR for the IP cams with pretty good results, not perfect no but for the time being works.

Ongoing experimentation with Blue Iris but haven't gone beyond that yet.

Hopefully I've met the requirement!

Thanks for your time,

Dan

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very limited for ISP options here, U-verse is top of the heap. "Down" is livable but "up" is...well.. let me put it this way, I walk in front of a camera phone in hand, I see me on the screen a minute or two later!
Dan, since you're only 476km/295 mi. from Canada, consider signing up for Starlink satellite here.

Several forum members, myself included, are on the list for pretty much the same reason as you....dismal Internet access. I think IPCT member @Jessie.slimer is one of the first, here.

Back in Feb. IPCT member @CenterDev stated a friend in northern MI was approved for their beta program.

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dan, since you're only 476km/295 mi. from Canada, consider signing up for Starlink satellite here.

Several forum members, myself included, are on the list for pretty much the same reason as you....dismal Internet access. I think IPCT member @Jessie.slimer is one of the first, here.

Back in Feb. IPCT member @CenterDev stated a friend in northern MI was approved for their beta program.
Ok thanks I will look into that.