I think I was hacked, need help

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I really hate to think that I've done everything right as of security and have been hacked. I hooked up a IPCT-HDBW4432F-IS last week and let it hang in my basement until I can mount it. This weekend I noticed the date says 1-6-1970. I try to change it through batch config tool and it doesn't work. The time and date stay what i set it at in batch config but never changes on the camera. I also can't view the alerts and it freezes up BI and shuts it down when I do. The other camera operates and plays back alerts no problem and everything else on BI seems to be working fine. The only thing I didn't do was to reset the camera and log in to the cameras web interface and change the date and time back.

So if this is a hack into my camera, what do I do going forward to prevent this again? I don't allow port forwarding or anything like that and I've followed all the rules for the router setup and I'm pretty sure my VPN is setup correct. I've checked for open ports and have found them all closed. I'm just not sure what I missed that could make this happen.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What would you recommend I check on to try to start to remedy the issues I am having?

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting - Most out-of-the-box Hikvision G1 series cameras I've worked with default to that puzzling 1970 year once activated. I've always considered it a quirk. We always set the date / time zone directly on the camera to correct this. Access the camera via the webGUI and correct the settings in System Settings>Time Settings. If possible set the camera to use NTP.
1575849921915.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s either reset, for whatever reason or you didn’t set the date. If it has reset then it’s IP address has also most probably rest to the default. This might explain why you can’t talk to it?

Connect to it and see if there are any log files that might explain what happened.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a small write-up on how to help setup your time:

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Next time I get some free time I'll have to install the time sync tool and see what happens.

It’s either reset, for whatever reason or you didn’t set the date. If it has reset then it’s IP address has also most probably rest to the default. This might explain why you can’t talk to it?

Connect to it and see if there are any log files that might explain what happened.
The IP address looks to be the same when I'm on batch config but I will check the log files soon.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, I set up Next time time sync and got that working. I'll give it a few days to see if it reverts back to 1970 but for now everything looks to be good.....now that I'm looking back at the cameras, the camera that wasn't giving me a problem now is telling me it has am/pm mixed up and every time I change it to am it changes itself back to pm. Add that to the original problem camera that says it's recording 24/7 but can't access anything to play back and doesn't show much recorded on the timeline. Just intermittent spurts of recorded video I can't access. Oh boy!