i3-9100 vs i5-6400 for BI

Reaction score
Evening all,

Just about narrowed down by second BI build (one at my parents and one at my place now) but suddenly having a tough time working out what CPU to use.
My system will be 7 x 4MP and 2 x 2MP cameras, 24/7 recording, 10FPS with a 5FPS live view one a single monitor, so around 320MP/s, using H265, direct to disk.

Looking at the hardware guide, a recommended processor in my budget range is the i5-6400, however for around the same price I can get a i3-9100 which blows the i5 out of the water on every benchmark I can find, is fully H265 compatible and has a slightly better graphics chip.

Am I missing something glaring here in terms of why I shouldn't go for the i3?

Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Just about narrowed down by second BI build (one at my parents and one at my place now) but suddenly having a tough time working out what CPU to use.
My system will be 7 x 4MP and 2 x 2MP cameras, 24/7 recording, 10FPS with a 5FPS live view one a single monitor, so around 320MP/s, using H265, direct to disk.

Looking at the hardware guide, a recommended processor in my budget range is the i5-6400, however for around the same price I can get a i3-9100 which blows the i5 out of the water on every benchmark I can find, is fully H265 compatible and has a slightly better graphics chip.

Am I missing something glaring here in terms of why I shouldn't go for the i3?

Thanks in advance.
You can buy an entire hp elitedesk/prodesk desktop with an i5-6500 for 150 or less.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I need a rackmount solution and transferring over motherboards and innards from a SFF or other type of prebuilt into a rack enclosure wouldn't be possible (I've tried but HP, Dell etc. have BTX or other janky MoBo layouts etc. it seems).
Paying 2-3x for vanity makes no sense. Better off spending the money on better cameras or more advanced vms software.

Reaction score
If only it was vanity!

The reason I need a rackmount is because the rack itself has a surge protected power supply, a UPS, a climate control system etc. which I'd like to have the benefit of by installing the system within the rack enclosure, my first build was an i5 system of an old HP Elitedesk which works fine, but in this case it's just a slightly different application.

To be honest the price point isn't that much more once things like additional HDDs and HDD enclosures etc. are added.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If only it was vanity!

The reason I need a rackmount is because the rack itself has a surge protected power supply, a UPS, a climate control system etc. which I'd like to have the benefit of by installing the system within the rack enclosure, my first build was an i5 system of an old HP Elitedesk which works fine, but in this case it's just a slightly different application.

To be honest the price point isn't that much more once things like additional HDDs and HDD enclosures etc. are added.
You dont need any climate control, its a waste of money and energy. Run a power cable from your ups to the pc.
Your processor alone is 120bux + windows (150) + memory, power supply, motherboard. Additional hard drives are fixed cost for both systems.

Reaction score
I had a SFF factor machine running an i3-9100 and it was slightly overtaxed running BI. As fenderman said, the difference in cost is minimal and future proofing becomes more important (adding more cams). You can not have a processor that is too fast.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a SFF factor machine running an i3-9100 and it was slightly overtaxed running BI. As fenderman said, the difference in cost is minimal and future proofing becomes more important (adding more cams). You can not have a processor that is too fast.
It all depends on your load he has a tiny load there are also new improvements with Blue Iris and sub streams that will significantly reduce the processor needed to run blue Iris

Reaction score
I paid $200 for a i5-9600k new cpu if that helps any. Unsure of what your budget may allow. Doing simple math, I thought for sure a i7-4700k would be superior (i7 vs i5). But I guess the digit after the hyphen makes the bigger difference (9th generation vs 4th generation).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I paid $200 for a i5-9600k new cpu if that helps any. Unsure of what your budget may allow. Doing simple math, I thought for sure a i7-4700k would be superior (i7 vs i5). But I guess the digit after the hyphen makes the bigger difference (9th generation vs 4th generation).
8th gen had significant improvement of 7th.