I5 South Union Street - WTF is happening??

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
If anyone lives by this freeway underpass can you offer some insight as what the approach looks like before you enter the underpass??

Interested to know if there are proper signage indicating a very short intersection leading out that path. Based on this curated video people are just ignoring the posted speed limits and are just zipping out!

Only to realize there’s a short controlled intersection at the end.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Google won't let you move along in that tunnel like normal so it's hard to tell but right off I see a couple of issues:
  • There are NO advance signs in that underpass/tunnel that I can see indicating that there is a traffic signal and cross walk ahead.
  • There are no advance traffic signals on the near side of the intersection at the 10 ft. level, only over head on span wire and there should be because it's over 40 ft. from the nearside stop bar to those overhead signals.
Granted cars are exiting too fast but even so, it's a terrible design from a traffic-engineering and safety aspect, IMO.

They should also consider grooving the pavement under there for traction. It's Seattle, it's rainy, the sun doesn't hit that under there, wouldn't surprise me if there was algae on the roadway...slick and slimy. Rough up the pavement there some.

Last edited: