i7 Performace

WaarrEagle

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased an i7-4790 Dell Optiplex and currently have Blue Iris running nicely continuously recording 7 x 3 MP cameras at 10 FPS. Base CPU load is in the high teens. Unfortunately the computer is dog slow when trying to do simple multi-tasking. Attached is what happens when I launch Chrome. It takes around 45 seconds to fully load the home page and stabilize. Would moving the OS to an SSD and recording BI clips to a separate HDD help with my performance issues? I thought this computer had plenty of horsepower!

Attachments

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How are you accessing the workstation? Via the Wondoes console (keyboard and mouse) or via RDP?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What bitrate are you recording at?
The computer has plenty of power, its the drive...it may be defective or its being overloaded. An ssd will improve things considerably in any case.

WaarrEagle

n3wb
Reaction score
Attached are bitrates from my cameras. I tried running chkdsk /r twice and it hung at 14% both times. I'll try to let it run overnight but I'm really starting to question this HDD. What evidence would I need to seek a replacement from Dell?

Attachments

eddiequeue

n3wb
Reaction score
I can say that in my personal experience, moving the OS + App to an SSD made a massive night / day difference to how my system responds. I had previously been using a single WD Purple 3TB drive for everything, after moving the OS to an SSD along with the Blue Iris Database the system is totally snappy now. My system is an i5-4590 with 3x 3MP cameras continuously recording at 20FPS. The system previously would get a little laggy, especially if I tried to do something else at the same time (99% of the time it's just doing BlueIris).

WaarrEagle

n3wb
Reaction score
I can say that in my personal experience, moving the OS + App to an SSD made a massive night / day difference to how my system responds. I had previously been using a single WD Purple 3TB drive for everything, after moving the OS to an SSD along with the Blue Iris Database the system is totally snappy now. My system is an i5-4590 with 3x 3MP cameras continuously recording at 20FPS. The system previously would get a little laggy, especially if I tried to do something else at the same time (99% of the time it's just doing BlueIris).
Really appreciate the feedback. I think I am going to pick up an SSD and go that route. To clarify, are you recording the database to your SSD and then archiving to a HDD or just keeping everything on the SSD?

I'd prefer to have 2 drives to get the OS performance from an SSD but the value/storage of an HDD for archiving of clips.

eddiequeue

n3wb
Reaction score
Really appreciate the feedback. I think I am going to pick up an SSD and go that route. To clarify, are you recording the database to your SSD and then archiving to a HDD or just keeping everything on the SSD?

I'd prefer to have 2 drives to get the OS performance from an SSD but the value/storage of an HDD for archiving of clips.
The BI Database isn't the actual recordings, just the file that indexes where everything is at so BI recommends keeping it on fast / local storage so I've placed the DB file on the SSD (it's quite small). In my setup, the recordings stay on the WD Purple drive, putting them on the SSD would burn the SSD out probably within a few months with the continuous writes.

WaarrEagle

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: Purchased a Samsung EVO 850 SSD to run the OS and moved the recordings to my old HDD and the difference is night and day. The computer literally starts in 1/10th the time and applications open almost instantly. I think there is something wrong with my old HDD but I will run it to failure with BI clips and then replace with a WD Purple.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my setup, the recordings stay on the WD Purple drive, putting them on the SSD would burn the SSD out probably within a few months with the continuous writes.
I'm very curious about this. Is there any weight to this theory that an SSD will burn out if it's being used in this way - specifically any conversations/experience around here or related websites? I've had a Samsung (840 Pro) SSD storing all of my "New" footage and "Alerts" for about 3 years, 24/7 continuous recording + motion detect and haven't had any problems to do with the drive. Don't have anything to compare it to, but it's super fast pulling up recent footage on other workstations on my LAN and from the app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm very curious about this. Is there any weight to this theory that an SSD will burn out if it's being used in this way - specifically any conversations/experience around here or related websites? I've had a Samsung (840 Pro) SSD storing all of my "New" footage and "Alerts" for about 3 years, 24/7 continuous recording + motion detect and haven't had any problems to do with the drive. Don't have anything to compare it to, but it's super fast pulling up recent footage on other workstations on my LAN and from the app.
Your own experience has proven that it's a non issue...see the ssd durability tests... they can handle a significant amount of writes..