icamera 1000 & VLC

memheli

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have a few of these cameras and started trying to get one setup over the weekend. I was able to find it in my DHCP reservations, and statically assign it an IP via wired network. Next, I configured the wireless settings and was able to access and view the camera by it's IP, 192.168.1.150, thru a web browser. Then, I setup the port forwarding, port 1024, on my router and am able to access the camera thru my iPhone...but I'm not able to view the vide due to it requiring support for QuickTime or Flash. So, I pulled up VLC and attempted to access the video using RTSP...this is where I kind of get lost.
I see the settings and URL: field under Streaming in the menu, but I'm not sure what to put there. I'm also not sure about the encoding type I should use...and finally I don't know what ports to forward and what address to put in VLC to see the stream. I don't "think" Comcast is blocking anything, nor do I think ATT, my cell provider is blocking anything, but I could be completely wrong. I was going to try to access the camera using RTSP and VLC on my local LAN first, then move on to working out remote access.
Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this VLC on a Mac?
I'd try this one first:
rtsp://IPADDRESS:554/img/video.sav
replacing IPADDRESS with whatever your camera is using on the LAN.

*edit* or if that's the camera configuration - don't select a user-defined value if that's possible, leave it at the system default.

memheli

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this VLC on a Mac?
I'd try this one first:
rtsp://IPADDRESS:554/img/video.sav
replacing IPADDRESS with whatever your camera is using on the LAN.

*edit* or if that's the camera configuration - don't select a user-defined value if that's possible, leave it at the system default.
Yes, this screenshot is the camera config screen...I'll just leave it blank and try that url on VLC.
Yes it's on a Mac.
I'd read somewhere that I need to provide user and pass in URL when using RTSP?

At work now, will try these things when I get home.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On VLC with my DAHUA cameras, if I enter only the correct URL for the RTSP stream, a box will popup asking for the username and password.
I have to enter it each time I open the stream, I guess the way around that is incorporate the username and password in the stream URL.

memheli

n3wb
Reaction score
On VLC with my DAHUA cameras, if I enter only the correct URL for the RTSP stream, a box will popup asking for the username and password.
I have to enter it each time I open the stream, I guess the way around that is incorporate the username and password in the stream URL.
ok, I've got it working just as you all described by the book. Added a port forward for 554 and she came right up via WLAN. So now, I need to password protect the stream and include those parameters in the URL?

memheli

n3wb
Reaction score
so on the video access screen I checked the box to Enable Security Checking, thinking this would pull in user names and passwords to authenticate streams. Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 8.45.00 AM.png
I then added the username and password to the stream url like this.
rtsp://username:password@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/img/video.save but no go. Have I got the right authentication setup for the stream?

memheli

n3wb
Reaction score
so on the video access screen I checked the box to Enable Security Checking, thinking this would pull in user names and passwords to authenticate streams. View attachment 6086
I then added the username and password to the stream url like this.
rtsp://username:password@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/img/video.save but no go. Have I got the right authentication setup for the stream?
As a note, I'm able to access via remote using the administrator credentials, but not the "user" credentials that I added under the user management area.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, I've got it working just as you all described by the book. Added a port forward for 554 and she came right up via WLAN.
Hey, well done! Cooking with gas, as we say over here.
That's a weirdly different camera, if it's the right one I was reading about.

memheli

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, well done! Cooking with gas, as we say over here.
That's a weirdly different camera, if it's the right one I was reading about.
Thanks for your help.
Here's a pic of this camera I've been working on. PastedGraphic-12.png

As an aside, I have another camera made by the same folks I believe, don't have the model number on my now, but when I log into it to start setting it up like the first one, I get no View Video link...something is different about this different model. It looks like this one in the pic.PastedGraphic-13.png