Ideas for the best way to do this

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some ideas here. Originally I was wanting to just use a nanostation to shoot from house 1 to house 2 (My house to my old house) to get all cameras on the same network, but I ended up getting my mom some new IP cameras to replace her aging camera system, so I'm thinking about changing everything up.

I know ya'll are jealous of my pic editing skills, and if ya'll are nice I might consider teaching you! lmao This pic is old, google maps doesn't update around here, but there is nothing but one small building on the block to the north of house 2 anymore.

Anyway, I live in house 1. My old house is house 2. My Grandparents house, now my moms and empty, is house 3, and my mothers house is house 4. I'm thinking about taking my house (1) completely out of the equation with this.

I have 11 cameras to go between my moms house and my grandparents house. Probably about 8 at house 4 and 3 at house 3. I am planning on keeping 3 or 4 cameras at house 2, but setting them up on my moms network so she can monitor/record those cameras.

I have a 16 channel NVR at house 2, and purchased another one from here, but it's taking it's sweet time and strange fedex routes to get here. I plan on using this (or one of them) NVR at moms house. Wiring her property will be easy peasy, and I have 2 Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2's and 3 Loco M5's that I can use for everything else. What doesn't get used for this install I will find other uses for.

Since these 2 "off premises" houses are on either side of the "main house" I'm assuming I'd have hell getting the 3 M5's to talk to each other using a point to multipoint approach, So I'm thinking my best bet may be to use one pair of nanostations from house 4 to house 2, then a second pair from house 3 to 4. I'm not too familiar with these nanostations so I want to be sure about the best way to hook these up before attempting to do so. There shouldn't be a ton of interference in the area. She has a wireless router broadcasting on 2.4 Ghz and we have a local Wisp broadcasting to her house on what I'm assuming is 5 Ghz. No other wireless signals within at least several hundred feet.

House 2 has a 4MP PTZ camera I'll probably leave, along with maybe 2 - 4k cameras and one 5442 camera. I'm hoping the nanostations won't struggle with that? The rest of my cameras will probably come out here. I can bring the PTZ also if ya'll think it will struggle over a wireless link.

Mom does have quite a few outbuildings in back with power and will have cameras there. I can run the nanostation to there and cable to her house, or do a nanostation link all the way to her house, so the wireless link can range from 35-150 feet, however would be best. The Cat 5 from the house to outbuildings won't be preferable, but will hopefully hold up running overhead for about 100' attached to a wire leading from her house to the buildings outside. The wire is already in place, and her current camera's (analog) run that route. I know it's not preferable, but it's what I'm dealing with and since I have thousands of feet of Cat 5E, I'm at least going to try it, unless the pro's here think I'd be better off with 2 M5's in back that close together, both shooting a link to a third on the house.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a ton of info, and I will gladly answer any questions. I'm just looking for some feedback from those more knowledgeable than meScreenshot 2022-04-13 165710.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The biggest concern is a clear line of sight for a signal path. 5GHz won't "penetrate" as well as 2.4GHz through trees, walls and such so a clear line of sight for 5GHz is important. That said, it doesn't look too bad other than the trees I see between 1 and 2.

A set for each house is the way to go. That will insure enough bandwidth for all cameras. Actual hookup is no big deal if you buy the pre-packaged pairs. Even if you don't setup isn't all that difficult if you have any networking experience and can follow the directions they come with.

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The trees between 1 and 2 are an issue and the main reason I decided to just put the cameras at 2 on moms network instead of mine. Houses 2, 3 and 4 all have good line of sight with each other.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Put an external beam 2.4 GHz. antenna at house 1as high as possible. For a test, take the router up on the
roof of #1with the antenna. Start pinging.the other targets. With the number of side lobes on a high gain Yagi as well
as passive repeating (bounce of objects,( how do you think one gets a cell phone signal inside?), you
might be ok.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
If your test works, LMK and I can recommend more permanent steps.

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm planning on using the Nanostations in town, hopefully getting camera streams from the houses on either side of my mom to her NVR. I'm looking into what would be best to shoot the 3,000 foot from my house to hers, so that she can take advantage of my starlink internet instead of the local wisp, who's internet is down right now as we speak.

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nanostations.jpg

Bing maps are a little up to date with the exception that some trees have been cut back. The red dots indicate rough positions of where I'll put nanostations. There is clear line of sight between all points. The nanostations between the house in the middle and the one on the northeast corner may have to be low, so I'm unsure on if vehicles may disrupt the signal or not, considering they are so close (150 feet) I'm hoping they won't. Traffic is very light, typically less than 15-20 vehicles driving by per day.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score

OR this will get you miles..

Parabolic WiFi Antenna - Wireless Dish-Grid 2.4 - 24dB Gain- RadioLabs (3db bandwidth about 15 degrees.)

Roof mount the antenna
Some LM 400 (100 ft) semi rigid coax 1 SMA to N adapter.
6.8 db line loss, 2 connectors for 1 db each or 9db loss or about 1/4 watt to antenna (2nd antenna above) or 45 watts EIRP.

You have a base station or server and 2 others in a star network rather than a mesh.

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just an update, camera installs in town are done for now. One house is using nanostation loco M5's to transmit just 2 cams at the moment, one of which is the 4k/X, and from what I've seen, that camera is sweet. I might end up putting one out here at my house as well. One of my Loco M2's decided to die (no lan port, couldn't get it working) so I ran back home and grabbed my cheap Kuwfi wireless bridge and it's working just fine. PTZ camera is responsive and overall she's loving it. I did notice a bit of stutter on one of the cams, and had warned her that she's probably have to pick a few cams and lose a couple. I think 4 - 4k cams, a 4MP PTZ and 2 5442 cams is just too much for the little wireless bridge.

Now it's time to start on my own projects, hopefully.