Identify Camera

neonate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed, but the search seems to turn up too many hits with the keywords I'm using. I'm looking to upgrade some of my older camera, and when I try to identify some of the the cameras, they don't show a model. Using the Dahua config tool, some show up as the model, some as just 'IPC IP Camera" Even logging into the camera doesn't help. I can see the serial, and firmware, but nothing on the model

I've never updated the firmware on these, just put up and linked to Blue Iris. I could climb the ladder to look on the unit, but there's a number of them, and I'd rather not.

Any ideas?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the make and model of the Camera ?
Is it a Chinese hack camera ? Where did you buy it ?
why do you want to change to update the firmware in old cameras ?
What feature are you trying to add ?

The fastest way to turn a working camera into a brick is to try to upgrade the firmware.

I have cameras over 2 years old and never upgraded the firmware, there is no reason too. Cameras are not PCs they set there an do a job.

neonate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the make and model of the Camera ?
Is it a Chinese hack camera ? Where did you buy it ?
why do you want to change to update the firmware in old cameras ?
What feature are you trying to add ?

The fastest way to turn a working camera into a brick is to try to upgrade the firmware.

I have cameras over 2 years old and never upgraded the firmware, there is no reason too. Cameras are not PCs they set there an do a job.
Sorry, I may not have been clear, I have NO interest in upgrading the firmware since I have no issues with the cameras. What I'm hoping to do is upgrade (replace with newer models) some of my cameras themselves.

However, rather than pulling out the ladder and climbing not only my house, but the houses of some family members I've stood up cameras for, I thought I'd log into their local BlueIris servers and use either the Dahua Config Tool, or log into the camera's themselves to see the model numbers. In doing so, that's when I noticed something unusual, some of the turrets (and 2 bullets) identify the model number (IPC-HDW5231R-Z, DH-SD1A203T-GN), however, some just say "IP Camera"

Logging into the cameras themselves, the web interface is identical, except instead of Dahua at the top left, it says "IP Camera", and the "Device Type" field is missing . I see the serial number, but no model information anywhere.

These are all camera's I've purchased from Andy over the years. Again, I've never applied a firmware update.

I did climb this morning to take down one of them that wouldn't report a specific model, but just a generic 'IP-Camera', and there's no markings on the turret that I can see. It's a solid black face. (photo attached)

Thanks!

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion if the cameras are less than 3 years old there is no real reason to up grade.

The best consumer cameras have large a 1/1.8 cmos sensor and are 4MP. The current recommend cameras are the dahua 5442 series.

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, I may not have been clear, I have NO interest in upgrading the firmware since I have no issues with the cameras. What I'm hoping to do is upgrade (replace with newer models) some of my cameras themselves.

However, rather than pulling out the ladder and climbing not only my house, but the houses of some family members I've stood up cameras for, I thought I'd log into their local BlueIris servers and use either the Dahua Config Tool, or log into the camera's themselves to see the model numbers. In doing so, that's when I noticed something unusual, some of the turrets (and 2 bullets) identify the model number (IPC-HDW5231R-Z, DH-SD1A203T-GN), however, some just say "IP Camera"

Logging into the cameras themselves, the web interface is identical, except instead of Dahua at the top left, it says "IP Camera", and the "Device Type" field is missing . I see the serial number, but no model information anywhere.

These are all camera's I've purchased from Andy over the years. Again, I've never applied a firmware update.

I did climb this morning to take down one of them that wouldn't report a specific model, but just a generic 'IP-Camera', and there's no markings on the turret that I can see. It's a solid black face. (photo attached)

Thanks!
The ID sticker is on the mounting base of the cam, not on the ball.
Why does it matter what the current model numbers are?

neonate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check the base of this camera that I have already taken down for my piece of mind. For one of the houses, II was able to go back into emails with Andy, and the (8) cameras I purchased for this location are HDW5231R-ZE cameras.

It was really more that I've not noticed this before with Dahua cameras (used to see this ALL the time with Hikvision cameras) that they appear 'generic' and not clearly showing they were Dahua and the model, and if there was a trick to see that info.

Thanks.