I'm back! Adding new camera best practices for placement?

Shige

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been a long time and I'm back! After our minivan was stolen from our driveway, I ordered 3 Dahua cameras from Andy and purchased BI all based from info in the forums.

I only installed 2 and now 18 months later, I'm thinking about installing the 3rd plus adding a few more.

I'm simultaneously building a new PC to run BI but I don't know how to place my cameras for best coverage.

Are there writeups about best practices for placing cameras? This will help me understand how many more I should order and what kind of PC will be needed to run it.

Thanks you!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in the WiKi, in the blue bar at the top of every page, and read the Cliff Notes in there on a real computer. General rule of thumb is that a camera should be mounted at seven feet high or so, maximum height. This allows a much better chance for facial recognition. Set the camera up on a temporary mount and test it by walking by it, wearing a baseball cap or a hoodie and see if you can recognize yourself. A test setup can be a bucket full of sand or stones with a 2x4 in it to mount the camera to. It will really eliminate guess work and finding out that your idea of placement isn't going to be optimal.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also determine what you want the camera to do in each location - overwatch, monitor packages, facial ID etc. A varifocal camera and the test rig helped me a lot.