I'm wondering what the biggest advantage is of Blue Iris 5 over Blue Iris 4?

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have installed and I monitor 2 camera systems that use Blue Iris 4 and they don't have many problems that can't be fixed. My own system has 12 cameras and my church's system has 11 cameras and between me and ipcamtalk I've kept them running. If I were to go to Blue Iris 5 would there be an immediate advantage or perhaps would any advantage be in the future as technology changes? .

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two biggest items are the introduction of substreams which brings CPU usage down tremendously. Along with this, you can now record 24/7 without taking a lot of memory as you can record substream until a trigger and then it switches to mainstream.

Second biggest item is the introduction of DeepStack that allows for AI and adds a whole lot more functionality to the system.

Lot's of other things as well, but for a $30ish cost to upgrade, it is well worth it.

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Two biggest items are the introduction of substreams which brings CPU usage down tremendously. Along with this, you can now record 24/7 without taking a lot of memory as you can record substream until a trigger and then it switches to mainstream.

Second biggest item is the introduction of DeepStack that allows for AI and adds a whole lot more functionality to the system.

Lot's of other things as well, but for a $30ish cost to upgrade, it is well worth it.
Thanks Wittaj. That helps as my system runs about 55% + now . The church's not so much ...around 10% +. Good investment I think. Appreciate

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Really does make a huge difference. Best part is that then you can add more/better cams.
That's the best part ..... new toys! I've ordered quite a few cams from Andy the past 2 months and what a learning experience! Some surprises too which prompted me to evaluate which cameras should go where.

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I'm unclear about Blue Iris's offer of $34.99 to upgrade. One time or yearly? Or is the one time cost the $57.99 I see offered.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can buy a fresh BI 5 license, but if you have a BI 4 license already and would like to upgrade your existing license key to work with Blue Iris 5, then it is cheaper to just pay for extended support. You can get extended support for 1 year with a $35 one-time payment or $30 for an annual plan that you can cancel right after the first payment (some people have trouble finding the cancel button though). Either way, that gives you access to all Blue Iris updates that are released before your support plan expires.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A new license is $57.99. An upgrade is $34.99 and includes free upgrades for one year from the date of purchase. After that it's ~$35.00 a year for support and free upgrades. Actually very inexpensive considering what you get and the constant improvements being made.

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I'm unclear about Blue Iris's offer of $34.99 to upgrade. Or is the one time cost the $57.99 I see offered.
A new license is $57.99. An upgrade is $34.99 and includes free upgrades for one year from the date of purchase. After that it's ~$35.00 a year for support and free upgrades. Actually very inexpensive considering what you get and the constant improvements being made.
Thank you wittaj .............