Image Settings / Time of Year

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably another silly question, but is it normal in the mid latitudes to have to adjust your brightness settings down in the summer, even if there's no shade in your view at any time of the year?

I got my first outdoor cam over the winter. In full sunlight (no shady areas in the yard), I would set the brightness level between 60 and 65 and that would be barely enough for things to not look too dark. As the spring rolled along, I've been having to gradually lower the brightness a notch or two about every other week because the image would start looking too bright.....As of late May, I've now got the brightness down to 50 (still full sunlight, no shady areas in the yard) and even this is looking a little too bright.....If I bump it up to 60-65 like I had it in the winter, everything is extremely bright and washed out.

Is this normal (naturally brighter outside due to the higher sun angle as you approach summer) or does this sound like a hardware issue (perhaps a sensor starting to go bad or something)?

As a side note, one difference is the grass was brown in the winter and now it's green. Perhaps the change in color has is causing things to look brighter due to a difference in the auto-white balance?