Impatient Driver Gets Himself Killed

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This happened in front of one of my properties last week. Driver of a Honda Odyssey honked and went around another vehicle and got T-Boned. He wasn't wearing his seat belt and cartwheeled out the drivers side window onto the pavement where he got run over by an F-150.

upload_2019-8-28_0-52-37.png

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll bet the police appreciated having this footage to answer a lot of questions.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good Lord! that's bad.

BTW, what's the speed limit in that business district with all the driveways, turns, etc.? Looks like folks are doing over 50.
Not that it would have helped much, as he came on out anyway, whether he could see or not.....just downright stupid. A fatal error in judgment for sure.

His first mistake was not wearing his seatbelt.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw something similar a few years ago. I was about 3-4 cars behind a row of cars waiting at a t junction. The lead car was taking their time to pull out, a car came zooming up on the wrong side of the road, crossed the junction and got t boned by a bus. Right royal mess, police called and took statements. The guy tried to blame the bus driver, I was noted down as a witness, went to court with the guy still claiming innocence until it was pointed out there were witnesses after which he changed his plea.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
The guy getting run over is blocked from the camera's view. But he must've flown/rolled almost to the edge of the pavement nearest to us, and the F-150 ran over him while already slowed down a lot before finally stopping just in camera view.

I came upon a one-car rollover out in the boonies in Wyoming many years ago. Had the guy not been thrown from the vehicle, he may have been relatively uninjured. As it was, he flew out and appeared to have landed more or less on his head, and was dead at the scene. I had always worn my seatbelts before that, but seeing it reinforced the importance of seatbelts. This was before air bags, but it's important to realize that an airbag won't keep you in the vehicle in the event of a crash. They inflate and then deflate very quickly. You need to be wearing your belts regardless. Exiting the vehicle during a wreck is never good!

Seeing this video is a good reminder to avoid getting impatient.

I'm also amazed that this is an uncontrolled intersection with left turns allowed onto a busy, high-speed roadway. But these things often evolve into existence.

The mayor of the town where I work asked our state department of transportation about a dangerous intersection that was created when some remodeling of the roads in a similar area brought a similar situation into existence. He asked WYDOT "How many people have to die at this intersection before you can install a traffic light?" While this may have been a rhetorical question, the answer was sobering and direct. "Two".

So that's what it takes here. Two deaths, and then they can consider installing a traffic light. I understand that putting in traffic lights ruins the flow of traffic on what should be a high-speed roadway. And none of us wants that.

And an area like this should have frontage roads and the high-speed roadway should be "limited access". But how do you keep up with evolving traffic conditions as an area grows? Being a traffic engineer would be challenging to say the least!

Therefore, don't drive like a jackass!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He asked WYDOT "How many people have to die at this intersection before you can install a traffic light?" While this may have been a rhetorical question, the answer was sobering and direct. "Two".
Sadly and too often, the answer instead of "two" is "only one, if that one is dear to someone high up on the food chain (council person, mayor, local big shot, etc.)".

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
LOCAL

Police identify man killed in Slaughter Lane crash
Police said the man failed to yield right of way when driving around a vehicle that was not moving.

Author: Jeff Bell, Drew Knight
Published: 8:21 PM CDT August 19, 2019
Updated: 5:28 PM CDT August 21, 2019

AUSTIN, Texas — Police have identified the man killed in a two-vehicle crash in southeast Austin on Monday evening that left another seriously injured.

The crash happened at the 500 block of East Slaughter Lane around 8 p.m., killing 47-year-old Anthony Ukadibia.

Austin-Travis County EMS said paramedics conducted CPR on a man in his 40s who was ejected from a vehicle. He had critical, life-threatening injuries. Another man in his 40s was seriously injured in the wreck.

Both people were declared trauma alerts and taken to St. David's South Austin Medical Center. Police said the driver who was ejected later died at the hospital around 8:45 p.m.

According to the preliminary investigation, police believe Ukadibia was leaving an apartment complex at 515 E. Slaughter lane in a 2007 Honda Odyssey. As he approached the roadway to turn left, he honked at the vehicle waiting in front of him. When it did not move, he drove around it and attempted to cross Slaughter Lane, failing to yield right of way to a 2000 Mercury four-door, which struck the driver's side of his vehicle. Police said Ukadibia was ejected from the vehicle and subsequently struck by a 2011 Ford F-150.

Officials said the drivers of the Mercury and the Ford stayed on scene. No charges are expected to be filed against them.

Anyone with more information is asked to call police at 512-974-5576.

Austin, Tx. Slaughter Lane...………… ironically.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...1-349aabb618ab

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that video would be very valuable to the police investigation. It shows the whole story.

No charges... Indeed! If anything, they should certainly be able to go after the dead guy's insurance to recover their losses as well!

If nobody's done so, the PD there needs to be directed to this video.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make the video public instead of unlisted and also submit it to several of your local news stations. They might do a story on it.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
So sad

Seems to be a terribly dangerous blackspot. Another double fatality in April this year, appears to be at same location.
Is it normal practice for these type of developments get approval, without appropriate traffic control measures?
No left turn signage leaving premises + median strip to stop vehicles entering property across 3 lanes, should have been the minimum requirements.
:(

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If nobody's done so, the PD there needs to be directed to this video.
Make the video public instead of unlisted and also submit it to several of your local news stations. They might do a story on it.
The video was turned over to the HOA the next morning who provided it to the police and several news organizations. Several news outlets did stories about this accident and another one a few months prior where 2 people were killed. The HOA is trying ot get a light installed.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The video was turned over to the HOA the next morning who provided it to the police and several news organizations. Several news outlets did stories about this accident and another one a few months prior where 2 people were killed. The HOA is trying ot get a light installed.
Most likely the HOA will have to foot the bill.