Improve UI3 Loading Speed?

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still new to using Blue Iris. I view my cameras via VPN connection. Somehow, I noticed the UI3 is slow to load the views of the cameras (only 4), same as when I switch among the cameras. Is this normal or anything else I can do the improve the experience? Will it load faster in the blue Iris mobile app?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still new to using Blue Iris. I view my cameras via VPN connection. Somehow, I noticed the UI3 is slow to load the views of the cameras (only 4), same as when I switch among the cameras. Is this normal or anything else I can do the improve the experience? Will it load faster in the blue Iris mobile app?

Thanks.
It's abnormal. Are you using limit decoding?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score

Thanks.
What is your speed over the VPN? Have you tried using a lower bandwidth profile in UI3?

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is your speed over the VPN? Have you tried using a lower bandwidth profile in UI3?
I'm using my cellphone for this. How to check speed over VPN? If I run speedtest, that will be the speed of the carrier network, right? Not aware of the lower bandwith profile in UI3.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
In UI3 on the left side you have streaming quality presets.

The VPN speed will be limited by the upload speed at the BI end of the tunnel. So whatever that max upload speed will be there is probably your max speed. But even on pretty slow connections, UI3 works fine since you can select from and change the quality presets. I assume the PC running BI isn’t running at 100% CPU or something like that and it has headroom to function.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Aside from changing setting in the UI3, I find that the VPN makes a difference in speed. One remote UI3 that I connect to takes much longer and has frequent timeouts when using Zerotier than it does with Tailscale which is near instant.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In UI3 on the left side you have streaming quality presets.

The VPN speed will be limited by the upload speed at the BI end of the tunnel. So whatever that max upload speed will be there is probably your max speed. But even on pretty slow connections, UI3 works fine since you can select from and change the quality presets. I assume the PC running BI isn’t running at 100% CPU or something like that and it has headroom to function.
1684427528349.png
not at all.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Aside from changing setting in the UI3, I find that the VPN makes a difference in speed. One remote UI3 that I connect to takes much longer and has frequent timeouts when using Zerotier than it does with Tailscale which is near instant.
That might be it, i'm hosting the Open VPN server on my ASUS router.