improving Annke C800

Pandemic

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running an Annke C800 dome and turret camera and the quality is OK but it suffers with ghosting at night. I just found footage of a raccoon running around in front of it and BI/Deepstack didn't see it (o_O). Anyway, when I view the feed (at night) it has some significant ghosting.

Additionally I was hoping to get a better quality image of people's faces, license plates, etc but they are all quite blurry if you pause a specific frame.

What are the best steps I can take to improve quality. I was reading about updating to hikvision firmware but I'm not sure if that would be a cure-all.

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to dial the camera in to your field of view. Staying on auto/default will never result in acceptable performance, especially at night. Ghost and blur is common with auto/default settings.

One camera cannot be an overview and get plates. More on that below.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS.

This is in general and your camera may not have all the same settings available to you, but will help you.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

But first, run H264, smart codec off, CBR, and 8192 bitrate to start.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. If you want to capture plates, you need a camera just for that.

During daytime it may act as an overview, but at night the shutter tends to need to be faster to capture the plate, and the faster the shutter, the darker the image.

Most of us run B/W to take advantage of the reflective properties of a plate which is why we can run a faster shutter to get the plates. Once you decide to keep it in color, the shutter speed slows way down and might not be fast enough to actually capture a plate.

You may have enough light and the car moving slower to capture, but you may also need to decide what is more important - the overview or the plate. Most of us run two cameras.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1636728572754.png

Pandemic

n3wb
Reaction score
Great reply - Annke C800 specific though I don't have a lot of those options. I did increase the max bitrate from 6144 to 8192 but I'm sure that's not going to be a massive fix. Would updated hikvision firmware give me more options to adjust shutter speed?

I do see exposure settings and "iris mode = manual, exposture time 1/30" Not sure if that's what you mean.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think it would provide you with more parameters.

Sarados

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi i have the same cameras and same problems. Did you found a solution or better settings?

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Under Exposure settings, there should be shutter speed usually in this format 1/XX - 1/XXXX , the bigger less lights come in but less blurry, alo a darker image. But also consider if your hardware cant force high speeds of shutter, none of the firmwares will help

motofox

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone worked out how to have seperate day and night settings on the C800 camera, ive left the scene to normal then setup for day and night and then sticking back on auto switch but it just sticks with the same settings for night and day - the scenes for a hikvision have night and day profiles but this just has front light, back light ect and doesn make sense