In law brownie points - Brand and model recommendation for home system please

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am in the Houston, TX area and need a security system for my in-laws.

I hope everyone is doing well. I want to buy a 16 channel system with a NVR for residential use. I believe I should get at least 2MP.

I would like to have night vision and also the ability to view the camera on my smart phone.

This is for home use, I will put about 6 cameras around the home, including the garage, one in the stable, and two in the main gate.

I plan to use dome cameras around the home and in the stable, and two bullet cameras in the main gate.

I want to buy a 16 channel system in case I need to expand the number of cameras later on.

I have read that Hikvision and Dahua are good options, can anyone recommend good models for the camera and NVR?

I have a friend who has a license to buy hardware from dealers like ADI, so, I can use his help to get the hardware if needed, or through vendors on here.

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you so much,
theoxonian

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you got a solid plan, my only comment is on the use of domes.. there are a few issues you needa be aware of:

1. IR Reflection/Bleeding can cause domes in small areas like choke points to be a pain.
2. Domes degrade over time with direct exposure to sunlight, plastic lens cover wont keep its perfect clarity for long outside with UV blasting..

Suggest you try Turrets instead of Domes, unless you really need the vandal protection...

Any of the base model 16ch NVR's should do the job, I have a Dahua 4216-4k and I am very pleased with it.. I would say go for the 4MP cameras, they are the best bang for your buck right now..

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Depending on your camera brand choice go with the same brand NVR. Personally I use Hikvision 7608NI-I2/16P NVR with only 2 indoor Hikvision cams now, the rest of cams are junk 10x PTZ and couple junk turrets with large sensor and VF all work great with this NVR. Despite being junk they all outperform Hikvision or Dahua 3,4,5MP cams in night time in the same price range.

Last edited by a moderator:

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

Thank you for the replies. Can anyone please recommend me either on here, or via PM a good source for the Dahua or Hikvision cameras?

I will look into the turret option as I do not think I have issues with vandals, thank you.

Here is one quote I received from my friend, via an authorized Hikvision dealer in the US.

Capture.PNG

1 HX-N7716P2T 16CH/NVR/POE/HDMI/100MBPS/2TB 787.99 787.99

6 HX-OD32V 3MP/VANDM/IR/3-12M/-30C/IP66 303.99 1823.94

4 HX-BL32V 3MP/BULET/IR/2.8-12M/IP66/-30C 303.99 1215.96

Any thoughts on the equipment and pricing on this system please?

Thank you so much,
theoxonian

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you klasipca! I am trying to get in touch with milkisbad who I believe is the rebranded Hikvision retailer? Any thoughts on how I can do so? I do not have the ability to PM as yet, and I have posted on the forum.

I do not have to go with Hikvision, please suggest any other brand if you feel it is a better fit!

thank you so much,
theoxonian

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you want to support a reputable US Retailer/Vendor, Hikvision is fine.. either way, dont go doing firmware upgrades for no reason and you wont have a problem with em.. just be weary of imports.

also consider and price out Dahua, I prefer them to Hik and quality is basically the same.

Buying all one type camera is a poor strategy, Zoom is good and lens selection is what separates a mediocre plug-n-play system from a great residential system.. a bunch of wide angle cameras is almost never appropriate, you might need one or two tops.. learn and love: http://ipvm.com/calculator

Might be good idea to start off with a pair of cameras, a wide angle (2.8-4mm) and a narrow angle (6-8mm), use those to determine what camera works best and placement to order the rest of your cams.. most people think they want a wide angle, until they see how poor it does at any distance at night.

I also agree with bguy, I run 7 cameras @ 10TB and have >3 Weeks of 24/7, dont buy a HDD less than 4Tb.. 6Tb is the sweet spot for price right now if you find deals.. I just got a 6Tb WD Purple for ~$33 per TB

Last edited by a moderator:

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi nayr

thank you for your help.

With regards to your HD, can you use an external HD instead of the NVR? or do I need an NVR and a HD? Apologies if this is a silly question, I am down with the flu, so my brain is not functioning at its peak.

do you have any recommendations for a Dahua vendor?

I have reached out to milkisbad who sells LTS branded products, which I believe are rebranded Hikvision, any thoughts on which model(s) I should get, in case anyone is familiar with it?

thank you so much, it means a lot
theoxonian

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I import most of my cameras, the few that I have not imported I got from http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/ and they provided great warranty and support.. i tested em both :)

HDD should go into the NVR, buy a NVR w/out a HDD and install it your self.. NVR's with HDD's already bundled are always selling you HDD @ prices way to inflated.. your paying like $50 extra just to save your self 5mins work w/a screwdriver.. get your HDD from NewEgg/Amazon/Local Box stores, some place that wont give you grief if its DOA or has any shipping damage.. WD Purple is what most of us all suggest, unless you find a killer deal on a WD Red/HGST Deskstar thats too good to pass up.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi nayr,

thank you for your reply. Can you please PM me or post on here, any recommended source to import the hardware from?

I know of Ali express as a source, but do you have a vendor(s) that you deal with?

thanks,
theoxonian

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whomever is cheapest usually, ive bought dahuas from the following AliExpress vendors without trouble.. the 2nd one was particularly good at ordering me a model nobody else offered, but I had to wait for a good while.

• E&M Tech Center
  • Shenzhen Ancotech Electronics Co., Limited (Twice)
  • Glory Triumph Technology
  • ousion

I find my self wanting models nobody else is offering, so importing is my only recourse..

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you klasipca! I am trying to get in touch with milkisbad who I believe is the rebranded Hikvision retailer? Any thoughts on how I can do so? I do not have the ability to PM as yet, and I have posted on the forum.

I do not have to go with Hikvision, please suggest any other brand if you feel it is a better fit!

thank you so much,
theoxonian
You can post in the thread and he can get in touch with you.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks klapisca,

I received the catalogue from milkisbad. Do you have any knowledge about the LTS cameras?

Thanks,
theoxonian

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
LTS is just rebranded Hikvision using identical hardware, they just do their own support and branding for firmware, but you can put Hikvision firmware as well if you want to.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you klapisca - any suggestions on which model(s) of the LTS I should go for?

I can repost my requirements if needed or PM you

I will be grateful if you can help me please

thanks,
theoxonian

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
unless your doing business, keep conversations public.. for the benifit of all coming after you.. thats why we offer free advice, once you want to go one on one off the record its no longer advice, its a consultation.

there are many times more lurkers than there are contributors to these forums.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Depends for what. If you are going to be sticking around you'll find that I am generally against these cams for outdoors since they use small sensors which affects night vision. Here someone just posted a good example what you can expect from the most popular cam on this forum as a garage surveillance at night, if you find this acceptable then go for it. He does have lots of lights there though.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/10618-Caught-with-LTS-CMIP3042W-28

The cam itself
http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/ip-camera/ip-dome/ip-network-turret-camera-cmip3042w-28.html

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thank you klasipca,

I appreciate your advice. I noticed that you are a very knowledgeable member. In your opinion, which camera(s) would you suggest?

I am not bound to LTS or any brand or vendor at this point.

Thanks,
theoxonian

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
go look at whats avilable, pick one that strikes your fancy and then search around for sample videos/imagery from it.. inside they are basically all the same, they have various lines with the exact same specs in a dozen different housings.. bullet/turret/dome/wedge/box/pinhole

there is no one best fits all, in the end its your money.. you choose, and if your unsure, ask and we'll respond. let the location choose the camera, not the camera choose the location.. most of your work is going to be figuring out what housing and lens combination will work best in each spot.

http://ipvm.com/calculator