In Love w/IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 - Same Quality?

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Based on the recommendations of ipcamtalk members, I bought one of the Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 from Andy and it is awesome. I have it pointed at my cul-de-sac and don't even need the IR for an awesome nightime image - which is my goal since I always end up with spiders on the IR - Southeast Florida :)

I have another camera that looks fine during the day, but horrible at night. There is plenty of light in the area at night and so I'm sure a Starlight Dahua would provide a great night image without IR. Does Dahua make a Starlight camera that would have the same night image quality as the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 for half the price? I don't need zoom and the resolution could be less also. The current Cam is a Foscam 8904 - 640 x 480. Thanks for your advice!

entry.jpg

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After reading further, looks like the Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS or the
IPC-HFW4231B-AS would be the fixed lens versions for low cost Starlight. The IPC-HFW4231B-AS would provide I/O for future PIR would may come in very handy at this location. Based on the dimensions in the picture, would you recommend 3.6mm or 6mm lens? - looks like it is offered in both versions.

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 on the HDW5231R-Z for that location. No screwing up the lens choice because it'll adjust perfectly to what you want, plus have better night performance than the fixed lens variants. Also, experiment with a different location and orientation, like on the end wall to the left of the current location. Corridor mode (rotated 90 degrees) is perfect for long walkways. You can get down low and up close to the camera as well as out to a distance because the widest angle is vertically, and you can expand the width with the varifocal to match the walkway, possibly still catching the doorway(s) to the side if having that much wall in the FOV doesn't unbalance the exposure unacceptably.

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks looney2ns & Kawboy12R - I will give the HDW5231R-Z another look...I was trying to go cheaper - but I know that the HDW5231R-Z probably makes more sense for the little extra $.