In need of advice in Central America

MAK

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear ipcamtalk forum members,

Hello. We are a small community of farmers in a rural area of Central America. Recently, some out-of-town armed bandits have threatened trouble and our personal safety. We feel, given our strategic position on a mountainside with a long-range vantage and otherwise firm security, that we can easily repel the threat indefinitely, and mitigate the risks involved, if we have a suitable camera and motion-detection/tracking system to help us.

We recently purchased a 12-bullet-camera-NV-motion-alert system from PriceSmart (CA Costco) as an emergency measure just to get started. Following rigorous testing, re-positioning, and further testing over several days, we plainly realize that this system is unable to reliably provide early detection or feasible tracking assistance. It seems to work fine as a short-range (5m) hall / path / entry surveillance recorder, which would serve as a deterrent to uninvited entry around our main hall only, for example, but certainly not as property or perimeter surveillance, threat detection, or tracking system.

Therefore, we require a rather sophisticated system that can serve the function of early detection by:

• watching and tracking movements along roads near and distant, but flexible enough to also see something at close range.

• In most cases, fixed bullet cameras are fine around the property, as long as they have really good motion detection and alert capabilities.

• It's preferable if there is a system with both night-vision and thermal imaging, though good-quality NV is vital.

• We need several PTZ cameras (at least 3 to start) with motion tracking and feature-recognition software.

• These cameras must be able to work together to identify and keep track of incoming vehicles or people as far as 500 - 600 meters.

• In the future, we would like to be able to confirm the presence of people from at least 8km, if such capabilities exist for consumer security.

• All cameras must be for outdoor use.

• We prefer cable networks to 24hr wifi networks.

• Capability to operate camera drone in conjunction is a plus.

Thank you very much for your help.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wondering what crops you farmers are harvesting?

Must be some robust coffee beans.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

MAK

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that!

I'll check out those cameras out for sure.

MAK

n3wb
Reaction score
You're gonna need a lot bigger camera ;)

Start with these:

Very Good night vision to 200M
SD6AE240V-HNI | Dahua Technology

500M night vision
SD6AL240-HNI | Dahua Technology
SD6AL830V-HNI | Dahua Technology

Thermal out to 3000M
TPC-PT8620A

Not sure if IR light has any negative effects on coca plants? o_O
Hi bigredfish,

Thanks for the info. Those cameras look really good. I am new to all this but I think the cameras need to be hooked up to some kind of recorder/monitor/interface, right?

I have come across NVR's and HCVR's. Is there a difference?

What more will I need to get a surveillance system up and running?

Thanks again,

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Those are IP cameras, so you'll need an NVR.

Stay with Dahua and dont mix brands with the cameras/NVR.

Lots of choices on NVR's and I'm not an expert. But if you want to plan ahead for future and higher resolution cams, these two 4K models look good:
NVR5424-24P-4KS2
NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr52165232-16p-4ks2-2651.html
Use Cat6 direct bury cable to avoid having any problems with wiring.

Beyond that you'll need someone with more IP networking knowledge than I.

MAK

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey thanks you guys!

I'm trying to learn a little about this as I go here and your info is helping me get a better scope of what I need to do.
Thanks for bearing with me!