Inbound VPN - how it works?

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use the 'inbound' VPN to access my BI setup at home; it works. In my Android phone, if I leave the 'inbound' VPN on permanently, does that mean all internet activity from my phone is routed via my home router? Or is it the case that when trying to access my home WAN IP address, for BI, the software then converts it or streams it, through the VPN, knowing that my WAN IP is associated with the VPN?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are using VPN on your phone and it is active, then you are using the mobile data on your phone (or wifi if you are on wifi) to establish that connection to the VPN, but then all your internet activity is going through your home router.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends how it's set up. There's a setting that controls whether it routes all or your client traffic through the VPN or only that destined for your local network. How you do that will vary by server/client.

e.g., On the Aus routers there's a selection for "Client will use VPN to access: Local network only (or) Internet and local network. Or under Advance settings "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic."

Other systems should have similar settings or you can edit the config files/routes directly.

Search for "split tunnelling" for more info.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depends how it's set up. There's a setting that controls whether it routes all or your client traffic through the VPN or only that destined for your local network. How you do that will vary by server/client.

e.g., On the Aus routers there's a selection for "Client will use VPN to access: Local network only (or) Internet and local network. Or under Advance settings "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic."

Other systems should have similar settings or you can edit the config files/routes directly.

Search for "split tunnelling" for more info.
Thanks, I'll have to research the UDM Pro, see what the options are there.