Incoming bandwidth vs decoding capability / Virtual Host live view

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been trying to optimize a CCTV system setup for some time now, and have reached the boiling point. I hope someone can clear some things up for me. I have spent two days searching for answers and have yet to come up with some solid ones.

Equipment:
DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR
(7) DS-2CD2352-I IPC's
5 cameras directly connected to NVR
2 cameras connected via gigabit switch

Question 1)
I am ashamed I didn't realize the simple fact that even though an NVR says "8 channel, can record 6MP, 5MP etc.." that it possibly cant!? But this is where my question is. Speaking in terms of the NVR I am dealing with, the "Incoming Bandwidth" for my scenario is only 21 Mbps (7 cams, 5MP resolution, 6FPS, 3072 bitrate = 21Mbps). This is well within the 80Mbps datasheet spec for this NVR...right?? I think..
But, when I go to live view over PC or iPad (wireless connection, 5Ghz) a couple cams show up (strangely the two cams that are NOT connected directly to the NVR) and the rest stay black screen forever, one may show up eventually.
This led me to find the "capability" stat in the datasheet. (i.e. 8-ch @ 720p, 6-ch @ 1080p).
So, even though this NVR plasters on the box 8 channel 6MP capable, it's a huge dirty lie?
So, TLDR my actual QUESTION is, can this NVR (and many others) RECORD all these cameras at a much higher resolution than the NVR could ever hope to play them back to you. (all at once)

Question 2)
Has anyone had any luck with loading the live view, of an individual camera, launching it THROUGH the NVR. I am able to launch the web gui of the camera (by enabling virtual host) and then clicking on the link that appears by the camera in camera management. Then login to the camera. But once I'm in, first it says that my plugin needs updating (ok, I do) and then it always just says "live view failed".
I need to see the live view within the camera directly as I want to setup event recording onto onboard SD card, but it's not possible to mess with the event settings if you cant see live view!
Since I've already done all the motion event settings for each camera on the NVR, perhaps there is a way to push all those settings to the individual cameras? doubt it...would be nice though.

Question 3)
Just to add to all of this...I only mention in case it sheds light on some other setting I have messed up.
One of my cameras has a digital "fog" that comes and goes. Sometimes half the image, sometimes the whole image. It actually looks like the lens is getting steamed up. But if you look close, it's extreme pixel blur. At a complete loss I just power cycled that camera and it started to behave.

So yeah. I'm thinking Hikvision cam's are just to advanced for this old guy. Maybe should have gone with Unifi? Bah!

Thanks to anyone who can comment on any of these issues. Hopefully someone else out there has experienced this.