Inconsistencies in clip recordings

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
So I've been an on again off again user of BI for a few years now and recently concluded it must just be me with the inconsistencies I experience. I monitor a common area pool with the system and frequently encounter clips which obviously start well after the first motion is detected and then jump hours into the future. Is this common? I feel like I've done my best to keep the system as default as possible and it's something that has followed me through every iteration I've tried with this. I can't imagine this is normal...

Is there anyone who might help glance at a few settings or tell me which might be causing the issues? I've tried direct to disk and limiting framerates but the CPU and IO don't ever spike on the system.

Thanks in advance for any and all rec's as I really want to like this system I just can never sell myself on it with the oddball issues I run into.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So do you have an SSD in the system that has ONLY, the operating system, Blue Iris and the Blue Iris data base on it?
Then all video is going to a Survlience rated drive such as a WD Purple drive?

Only using the computer for Blue Iris, nothing else.

The computer you are running Blue Iris on, did you do a fresh install of Windows using the MS Media Creation tool.

Have you performed EVERYTHING here: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage
Pay close attention to the proper way to exclude Blue Iris from any Antivirus software, including MS Defender, as per the BI help file.

What exact CPU does you system have in it?

Version of Blue Iris you are running.

In 8 years of using Blue Iris, I've not had any problems like you discribe.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
OS is on Samsung 860 EVO with all blue iris storage on a Seagate BarraCuda Q5 2TB (NVMe).

The computer only runs BI v5.9.1.5 and tailscale for remote access.

Fresh install of Windows 11 (tried 10 previously a few version ago and similar issues).

Direct2disk done, Substreams done (huge CPU drop on this when I got it working a few iterations ago so thanks for that helpful guide), Framerates limited. Again, I never see CPU or memory issues on the system. Even during on-going events, it is a community pool, it maxes around 45-60% but sits about 10-18% normally.

All AV has been disabled on the system as that was my first assumption as well. Given the system not being directly exposed to the internet and nothing besides it and the cameras on the network I left it disabled.

CPU is i5-9500T and 16Gb Ram.

I still assume it's something I'm doing as I can't believe this is a common problem. I'm just not sure where to look. Camera recommendations were from here years ago and have been flawless (Thanks EmpireAndy!). I've also had good luck when I export the clip. Numerous times I've had requests to turn over clips to LE. Each time the exported file is great but prior to the export trying to scrub through the clips to find a specific event is basically impossible (CPU isn't pegged while scrubbing either).

I'm a Linux SysAdmin by trade so arguably windows is not my strong point but I am hoping for guidance on what to look at besides those basics that were linked. I figured maybe someone had a similar experience and it just a matter of check or uncheck this box and keep your damn hands away from the knobs :D

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you have a "T" processor, I assume this is a mini computer?
The T processor and the lack of good cooling could be part of the issue, causing the processor to throttle down because of heat.
You basically have a laptop processor.

Last edited:

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
It is a mini computer but it's in a cool basement. Never the less I'll throw HWInfo on there and track it for a bit to see if that might be the case.

ogden

n3wb
Reaction score
@looney2ns Thanks for info as it got me looking at thermals. Turns out it was the nonstop writes from direct2disk on the NVMe that were causing it to crawl from overheating. Popped a heatsink on it and it's been good ever since.