Inconsistency on notification (SMS and email)

goldbond

n3wb
Reaction score
new setup on new system:
i7-9700k
32 gb ram
new wd blue 4 gb hd
RTX 3070...
System spec's should not be a concern..

BI just purchased R5.3.9.17 x64 running as service but typically logged in to a local Windows 10 x64 Home user account
CPU 4% and ram 566M

I do have Bitdefender installed with most options enabled. However, I don't think this is related to problem.

Testing 1 camera plugged in via POE switch less than 15 ft run from my router: Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW-28MM

Using outbound VZ MMS notification and Hotmail email account used for outbound notification (10 mb file attachments)

I followed this guys setup for the most part:

Issue:
Alert capture and notifications are not working consistently. It works at onset after reboot..but will eventually stop working.
In some cases, I will received the alert on BI. However, the notices won't go out as mentioned. However, eventually I won't even receive alerts on BI.

Appreciate any help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is usually an issue with the email provider and not a BI issue. Too many happen in a short period and the email provider may think it is spam and slow it down.

Try a different email.

goldbond

n3wb
Reaction score
This is usually an issue with the email provider and not a BI issue. Too many happen in a short period and the email provider may think it is spam and slow it down.

Try a different email.
Except VZ MMS has exact same issues. Both stop simultaneously. I receive no notification. And, as mentioned, alerts eventually stopped working all together. (not even recording on the host)
I have upgraded and restarted. See how things go. I have also switched to gmail just to be safe..

Last edited:

goldbond

n3wb
Reaction score
Still same problem. Worked once since reboot and now no notifications to either SMS or email (using Gmail) Nothing in spam filter and I can confirm that test notification works to gmail as expected. This leads me to believe something else wrong software based.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind VZ MMS could consider it spam too and limit or block it.

Look in the sent folder of GMAIL - are they there? Did you set up the email account to allow less secure logins?

You will have to work on motion settings to knock out almost all false triggers. BI sending 12 emails or MMS at once will probably redflag most providers.

When I first started they were sporadic or late due to sending so many that ended up being false, but as I dialed in my system, the results are almost instantaneous and consistent now.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There appears to be a bug with BI 5.x and Alerts. The POST header User-Agent (which should be User-Agent: Blue Iris) contains corrupted characters. This is causing my web endpoint to fail.

If you can, view the POST data on the wire and see if you have something similar. My current workaround is to keep restarting BI until it no longer occurs. Changes to Camera Settings / Alerts / On alert cause it to reappear, but not always. So, not a perfect work around. Seems to be a thread race issue.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There appears to be a bug with BI 5.x and Alerts. The POST header User-Agent (which should be User-Agent: Blue Iris) contains corrupted characters. This is causing my web endpoint to fail.

If you can, view the POST data on the wire and see if you have something similar. My current workaround is to keep restarting BI until it no longer occurs. Changes to Camera Settings / Alerts / On alert cause it to reappear, but not always. So, not a perfect work around. Seems to be a thread race issue.
Is this affiliated with the OP's post "Inconsistency on notification (SMS and email)" ?

goldbond

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like it was a combination of issues related to comments above. (thanks for confirming) Originally, it appears BI was spamming MMS and email until I implemented DeepStack. Deepstack is controlling notifications by reducing false positives nicely and avoiding spamming MMS and email.

That said, there are issues with VZ MMS. After calling them about the issue, I suddenly get every MMS as intended. However, my wife got blocked and receiving none just prior to implementing DeepStack. A friend, who I was also testing with on AT&T received zero from onset, even after DS implementation.

For anyone going through same thing and need to get a better handle and elimination false positives. Deepstack has been freaking amazing. I do not regret dumping my Swann NVR at all and going BI/DS. My next focus will be on push notifications (without external access and/or via VPN) to try and avoid MMS inconsistency. Looking at ST integration and a few other options.

Thanks for all the help.

Edit: While BI has calmed down on spamming. It appears BI was looping on detection which I didn't realize spamming photo capture (person) every second with nothing there. No detection box, so it didn't seem this was kicking back from DeepStack. Restarting the camera stopped the looping. Guess I didn't realize this. I 'll grab the logs next time this happens.

Last edited:

goldbond

n3wb
Reaction score
OK here is the deal.. MMS alerts only work for ONE account only.

After extensive testing, I determined that if I had a friend, my wife, and my phone numbers with outbound MMS in Alerts, then only the 1st created worked. If I add 3 phone numbers, 2nd and 3rd will not work. If I remove the first 2, then the remaining (originally 3rd) will send alert.

This leads to the question: Is this a VZ issue or BI issue? I would surmise it is the latter. However, I would like to hear from others....

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Either a setup error or issue with VZ or your email provider as I send an alert to me and my neighbor for the camera that would be of interest to them.

The Alert in BI is sent from the email account you placed in there, so it is probably the email provider blocking it.

In the alerts, add a break time in between each Alert being sent and see if that gets the others through. BI sends them fast, so the email provider could be thinking it is a spamming event.

goldbond

n3wb
Reaction score
Either a setup error or issue with VZ or your email provider as I send an alert to me and my neighbor for the camera that would be of interest to them.

The Alert in BI is sent from the email account you placed in there, so it is probably the email provider blocking it.

In the alerts, add a break time in between each Alert being sent and see if that gets the others through. BI sends them fast, so the email provider could be thinking it is a spamming event.
I tried using 2 separate email outbounds (1 gmail 1 outlook) and same results. Break time I have not tried. Will give it a go.

I should add that all 3 configured email addresses do receive alerts. This indicates issue is purely related to MMS

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So if the breaktime doesn't work and VZ cannot/will not do anything for you, a workaround is to have the emailed alerts forwarded to the MMS email of the phones you are trying to send texts to.

goldbond

n3wb
Reaction score
@wittaj that solved it! I put a wait of 2000 ms between MMS alerts and this "appears" to have resolved the issue. Both my wife and I are receiving MMS as intended for about an hour now.. Thanks!

Fitz2380

n3wb
Reaction score
Goldbond or others: Where do you add the delay as Goldbond did above between MMS Alerts? I would like to try this to see if it resolves my issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Goldbond or others: Where do you add the delay as Goldbond did above between MMS Alerts? I would like to try this to see if it resolves my issue.
In the alerts tab where you set up the MMS, select the + button and then add a wait command