Incorrect Network Settings Bricked Cams?

Sentinel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! (tldr at bottom), just wanted to say thanks to a great community, I've found this place to be an invaluable resource in getting my system set up. For the most part everything has gone pretty well, but I seem to have made a grave error and can't find any good info anywhere on how I may be able to fix it, so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any thoughts, or maybe could confirm that I'm dumb.

My main setup is several dahua cams and Blue Iris running in a windows 7 VM on an UnRaid server. It's working well and I seem to have managed to iron most everything out. I also grabbed a couple super cheapo "besder" brand 720p cams for about $12 or $15 to cover areas that are not really that important, just for presence detection indoors. They worked great for that, until I screwed them up.

While the dahua cams are easily configured using the web interface of the camera, these besder cam web interfaces are all in Chinese, so I used the 'ONVIF Device Manager' tool to configure them. I created a second network for the cameras to separate them from my main network. My main network is 192.168.1.1/24. My camera network is 192.168.2.1/24. When I set the IP addresses on the cameras I accidentally gave them the default gateway of my main network: 192.168.1.1, instead of the 192.168.2.1 it should have been. This had the effect of making the cameras unreachable. Not able to ping them, not scannable with nmap, nothing I tried allowed me to access the cameras after this was done.

The dahua cams have a reset button, so it's not a big deal to start over. But these besder cams apparently don't. I took one completely apart and didn't see one. Might be a jumper reset? But nothing I could identify. Not really any documentation for these cameras that I've found, but I'm still looking and waiting to hear back from them.

The besder cams do still show up as 'clients' in my unifi controller. I've tried plugging the cameras and the camera switch directly to a pc and changing about every combination of network settings to try to ping them, scan them, or get them to show up in the web ui or the ONVIF Device Manager. I tried using other software like 'ispy', which lists besder as a supported brand, but still no luck. Tried creating a new network in unifi with the 'wrong default gateway', but It won't let me be that dumb.

tldr; So I guess my question boils down to: If you configure a device with the wrong default gateway, is there any way to access it over ethernet when a factory reset button isn't an option?

Reaction score
I wonder if you could just assign the NIC in the BI machine, for the time being, a 2nd IP address of 192.168.1.1/24, here's instructions on setting dual-IP on a Windows Network interface: How to assign multiple IP addresses to a single PC

If the BI machine has another NIC already assigned to 192.168.1.X/24 you might have to disable it, and sit at BI until you correct the gateway (i.e., wont work over remote desktop). There is probably a better way, but thats what came to mind to try first based on my limited experience.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you configure a device with the wrong default gateway, is there any way to access it over ethernet when a factory reset button isn't an option?
Yes -
Just (temporarily) change the IP address of the PC to a value in the same range as the cameras, for example 192.168.2.100, access the camera web GUI to change the network settings as needed, then change the PC back the way it was.

Sentinel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! crw030 thank you for the link, I didn't know about this before and it's gonna come in handy for sure. While I had tried changing the ip on the pc to the same range and it hadn't worked before, I somehow managed to get it to work just now, and I I think the key was this: using two Ethernet ports on the server, I plugged one into the main network and the other one I connected directly to the PoE switch that the cameras are on. Then I configured each Ethernet port to its respective network ip range and default gateway address. What I hadn't done previously was set the DNS server to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 in the adapter properties. These were set to googles dns numbers, and for some reason I didn't even think to change that :facepalm:. Imagine my surprise when BI started up and they were running again! That was a lot of work for some crappy cheap cameras, but I guess at least I learned something, thanks!

Edit: Also, the web ui for these dingleberries only works with internet explorer, which is why I was having problems trying to use it with Chrome.

Last edited: