Indoor camera for remote viewing of screens

Warthog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I've joined this forum in the past looking for some outdoor cameras for my home.
Now, the current situation created a requirement for my company to be able to look at screens in a room.

The room is probably 4 x 5m wide and the screens are positioned towards the center so I was thinking of installing a PTZ camera in the centre of the room on the ceiling.

Now I'm trying to decide whether go varifocal or get a camera with optical zoom, but I'm leaning towards an optical zoom. I think 4K would be beneficial as the screens need to be readable and I have remote control over lights so that wouldn't be a factor.

Could anyone make any recommendations?
Budget wasn't specified yet I'm afraid.

From what I've seen optical zoom domes are usually around 30x zoom and priced > 1000 GBP
A step down would be a varifocal lense which will give me between 3x and 5x zoom for something between 300 GBP and 500 GBP?

Problem I have is the fact that all tools focus on whether I'll be able to recognize face or license plate from a distance while I need something much smaller - the text on a screen.

Again I'll really appreciate any assistance!

Last edited:

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hope you get more feedback but from what I have seen, optical zoom and varifocal are are the same thing but are measured different - just make sure you get motorized.
You can get a Dahua 4mp 5x optical zoom from Andy for $50 GBP if you just wanted to test one out. I couldn't find any videos yet that show what you are trying to accomplish at the distance you indicate.
My 2mp (1080p) 12x optical cam , easily reads license plates at 100m and I just placed a book at 21 ft (6+m) and could also easily read it with that PTZ at 12x.
Sorry I can't put a monitor out there but you get the idea.
Maybe if you state the exact distance from cam to monitor someone else can or has already tested this. Good Luck

Warthog

n3wb
Reaction score
That sounds quite good to be honest, better than expected.
Maybe I need to ditch the 8MP idea in favour of better zoom. I'd imagine if you can read a book I should be able to read the screen contents.

If anyone tested something similar or has a camera positioned in a way they would be able to look at a computer screen from let's say 3.5 m (12ft) I'd appreciate any help ;)