Indoor replacement recommendation

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an ACTi cube camera that has gone psychedelic on me. I've tried rebooting and resetting with no luck. Looking to replace it with similar. 2MP max, IP, running BI. This is mostly to monitor my 8 year old twins! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ACTi.jpg

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an ACTi cube camera that has gone psychedelic on me. I've tried rebooting and resetting with no luck. Looking to replace it with similar. 2MP max, IP, running BI. This is mostly to monitor my 8 year old twins! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I have been using one of these for the past year to monitor my dog, no problem. I don't use it with BI anymore, I just use the app in my phone.

Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD 1080P

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you've got a spare, try swapping the psu.

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you've got a spare, try swapping the psu.
It's PoE. I could try swapping ports. The other cameras on the same switch seem to be fine but it's worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got a mini-dome in the kids room but I'd rather have another mini-black fact PTZ in there.. but Ive got another baby on the way and having presets that zoom in on the beds is really nice when they are infants/toddlers.. probably less so as they get older, but they always like to hide in any blind spots you have so its nice to look about and see what there up to.

most of the stuff I wanna see/record is usually in the dark; so having IR is important in kids room and that limits how small you'll get.

Luckily for me all our pets like to sleep in the kids room when were away for some reason; so the PTZ makes a fine pet-camera when were away.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For the moment I have the mini PTZ pointed at the garage door\ house entry door.
It is south facing so it blows out the image throughout the afternoon. So I could not see someone's face in the window and it's darker than usual throughout the rest of the image in this situation.
I've been playing with the WDR but with limited results.
Also as the sun moves, (ex it is not an issue in the morning) one WDR setting is good for morning but not for afternoon or night where there is little back-light issue but then the interior does not show well unless the WDR is changed again.

Can you change WDR on a schedule,(either via the camera or via Blue Iris)?
I can't find a way to do that.

Any thoughts on how to set for a difficult afternoon back-light washout situation like this, (besides changing location or angle of course...I want it where it is at to see both doors and cat doors)?

On a side note, I was impressed to see that even with blinding back light, if I zoom in on just the window this nice little PTZ focuses and adjusts well to show a very clear image of the outside.

Screenshot_2016-12-28-13-18-57.png

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this camera has Digital WDR, not true WDR.. and thats been a sore point for me outside too; even on the north side the shade/bright spots are so harsh.. Real WDR and an Auto Aperture is whats needed when you got the sun in view.. the aperture will darken the sensor while true wdr will level out the chroma, since the shutters on the sensors are digital thats really the only recourse.. DWDR is just post processing and not much more than what you could accomplish in a video editor on the recordings.

have you tried BLC or HLC? BlueIris can switch between day/night profiles and you can configure them w/different backlight settings but otherwise identical.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah...so sounds like DWDR is kind of pointless.
I'll try BLC...that will prob be the best bet then. I'm just experimenting now...this cam will go elsewhere later when the other cam comes in to take its general location,(5231R-Z) as this is a wasted spot really for the PTZ.
Thanks