Inexpensive IR illuminator

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah they'll work for messing around. I have the same one. Works good indoors in my garage. Outside it's like shining a flashlight with a narrow beam, only covers a small part of the area. Mine broke after a few months. I also bought a crazy cart, similar size one but with a lot small led inside, same output and beam pattern but it still works.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3O5ERK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I used. Has a bit of a narrow beam although I only mounted it about 6 1/2 feet off the ground and had it aimed about 15-20 feet out at the ground.

I'll try and find a picture in my Alerts folder later tonight to give you an idea of how well it worked. I've since replaced the illuminator itself with a 4mm turret so I don't have one readily available.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's mine. As you can see it's pretty focused but it's not mounted very high and i had it pointed at an angle that would cover the rest of the driveway by not too too reflective off of cars parked there. It was about 20 feet to the left of the camera, around the same height.

This is also proof of how shitty 2.8mm Hik Turrets are at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Attachments

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. In looking at the reviews for these products it seems the most common complaint, aside from a narrow beam, is the fact that the cheap ones don't seem to last very long.

Ir would be nice to hear from more folks on the forum as to brands/models that have been in service for a couple of years or more without problems.

OR.......it may just be the luck of the draw on some of these cheaper units as to which one you get.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One of the members of this forum has had both this unit and this unit in operation for a long time without issue. I think it might haven been @bp2008 who posted this but I don't remember for sure. But these two units were definitely in good operating order for quite some time, at least months if not years from what I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The most common cause of short lifespans in LEDs, such as you find in IR illuminators, is the manufacturer pushing far too much power to the LED to bolster their "specs" but at the cost of burning them out prematurely. Be cautious of IR illuminators that are "too cheap" while being "too bright/powerful" as those are the most likely culprits for poor design and corner cutting.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the members of this forum has had both this unit and this unit in operation for a long time without issue. I think it might haven been @bp2008 who posted this but I don't remember for sure.
Yup. Still working well. Ordered from Amazon in October 2012.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bp2008 do you mind posting pics of your install and maybe some night screen shots?