Info about new camera

Matt-One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

i need to change my old cameras buyed on ebay with some strange brand :D because they are broken. I just have a B5442T-ASE and it work good (i don't remember if it is an S2, i bought it in 2019).
Now i am thinking about an 8MP version but also with starlight like my 5442 so i can use it in color mode in the night. I also want to switch to turret so i don't need to clear them from spiders :)

Is this a good option, is it S3 or? empiretech01.com/products/empiretech-8mp-ir-vari-focal-eyeball-network-camera-ipc-t5842t-ze

or do you recommend to remain on 4MP with something like empiretech01.com/products/empiretech-ipc-t54ir-ze-s3-1-1-8-cmos-4mp-ir-starlight-vari-focal-turret-security-camera?variant=46950104498461

The back of my house is a little dark so i think i will buy non starlight camera, but in front of my house i can put starlight camera.

Thank you so much for your answers :)

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That 8MP you are looking at is on the same sensor as the 4MP, and folks here that have both have shown that the 4MP is better at night (which is to be expected).

Starlight is a meaningless marketing term.

The newest model of the 5442 that you have, the S3 model under the T54IR is an incredible improvement for the same model number. If you are happy with the 5442, you will be elated with the newer version.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, this is the king of the hill:

Matt-One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That 8MP you are looking at is on the same sensor as the 4MP, and folks here that have both have shown that the 4MP is better at night (which is to be expected).

Starlight is a meaningless marketing term.

The newest model of the 5442 that you have, the S3 model under the T54IR is an incredible improvement for the same model number. If you are happy with the 5442, you will be elated with the newer version.
I agree, this is the king of the hill:
Thank you so much for your answers, i will go for the 5442 again :)

What about the "no-starlight" model that i need for the back of my house? what do you recommend? And also inside for the garage? i need two camera for this spot one in front of the other because i have two entrance or maybe a 180° camera, it is about 11 meters long

Thank you :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 180 cameras do not see infrared, so if you don't have enough light or are unwilling to use the built-in white light, then go with the 5442 again.

Again, starlight is simply a marketing term LOL is simply a marketing hook and does not represent a specific technology advancement or feature....it is simply a marketing term used to supposedly sell the consumer on the ability to have good night vision. The actual sensors and capabilities of the camera is more important. Plenty of "starlight" cameras are on less than ideal MP/sensor ratios.

To prove how meaningless Starlight is, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos of their Starlight camera - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy a system based on marketing terms like Starlight.... Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1699565954914.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

Matt-One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 180 cameras do not see infrared, so if you don't have enough light or are unwilling to use the built-in white light, then go with the 5442 again.

Again, starlight is simply a marketing term LOL is simply a marketing hook and does not represent a specific technology advancement or feature....it is simply a marketing term used to supposedly sell the consumer on the ability to have good night vision. The actual sensors and capabilities of the camera is more important. Plenty of "starlight" cameras are on less than ideal MP/sensor ratios.

To prove how meaningless Starlight is, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos of their Starlight camera - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy a system based on marketing terms like Starlight.... Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

View attachment 177480

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you
Yes, i understood about the starlight marketing term eheheh, i just said "no-starlight" to mean that i don't need color mode in the back of the house because there isn't lots of lights in the night :) the same in the garage, there is light only in the morning :)
so you recommend to go for 5442 for all the camera?

Anyway i saw a ghost beetween the columns eheheh, really this camera got this low shutter speed with IR on?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The new 5442 S3 models are vast improvement over the previous model of 5442 cameras. A 5442 camera is a very good go-to all around camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, i understood about the starlight marketing term eheheh, i just said "no-starlight" to mean that i don't need color mode in the back of the house because there isn't lots of lights in the night :) the same in the garage, there is light only in the morning :)
so you recommend to go for 5442 for all the camera?

Anyway i saw a ghost beetween the columns eheheh, really this camera got this low shutter speed with IR on?
LOL Starlight is used by camera manufacturers for infrared cameras as well as some full color cameras.

And yes that is the big problem with Reolink and most consumer cameras is that their firmware is written around providing a nice bright static image at night, but due to the slow shutter and high gain, motion is then a blur.

Matt-One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The new 5442 S3 models are vast improvement over the previous model of 5442 cameras. A 5442 camera is a very good go-to all around camera.
LOL Starlight is used by camera manufacturers for infrared cameras as well as some full color cameras.

And yes that is the big problem with Reolink and most consumer cameras is that their firmware is written around providing a nice bright static image at night, but due to the slow shutter and high gain, motion is then a blur.
Thank you so much for your answer :)